• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

slab elevation above street

MiaInvestor

Concerning the top of slab height above the street for residential

Per the building code here in Miami, FL, and the 2009 IRC [403.1.7.3], the required top of foundation above drainage inlet or street gutter is 12in + 2% slope from building

most of the residential streets around here dont have drainage gutters on them to reference too, and in other publications (and per my architect) i see it as 12in plus 2% to the crown (the center as i understand the term) of the road.

other references mention comparing it to the sidewalk.

Does anyone have any clarification on this?

Additionally, most of the houses I see here that are 30-50 years ago arnt built to this code. im assuming the code changed at some point.

the reason im asking is because i want to do a garage conversion. the required height needed is 12in plus 2% or 9in = 21in

but my garage floor slab is only 12in above the street. however, the main slab of the house is also short, only 19in above the street. and the living room of the house is sunken in at approximately the elevation as the garage.

NOTE: the method im using to find elevations above the street is a self leveling laser level and a measuring tape.

Thanks

-Phil

What does the flood ordinance state?

When I was in S Fl the local flood ordinance state 18 inches above the crown of the road for new construction in a "C" zone. There where some exceptions for remodeling existing but I do not remember the numbers.

MiaInvestor,

Welcome to the Building Codes Forum!

As a suggestion, recommend that you contact the AHJ city engineer for

clarity.

I agree with globe trekker, also whomever is the Flood Plain Manager.

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry, that was an assumption on my part. We have a river that cuts through part of our City, drives TOF sometimes.

I mentioned it because the whole state of Fl is in a flood zone of some kind and that will overide the building code if it is more restrictive.

mtlogcabin said:
I mentioned it because the whole state of Fl is in a flood zone of some kind and that will overide the building code if it is more restrictive.
here is the flood zone map for florida

Miami-Dade County | Flood Zones

my property is in the .2 PCT area, as per the map legend, which is the area that has negligible risk of flooding and for which banks don't require flood insurance.

thanks

-phil

mtlogcabin said:
here is the flood zone map for florida

Miami-Dade County | Flood Zones

my property is in the .2 PCT area, as per the map legend, which is the area that has negligible risk of flooding and for which banks don't require flood insurance.

thanks

-phil