• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Slab reinforcement

Bama dav

Bronze Member
506.2.1 requires fill to be approved when more than 24in.Seems like I remember an exception a few codes back that allowed for no.4 rebar 24" on center each way instead of compaction? Maybe my old timers kicking in! Does anyone else rember that exception ?

+ + +

Bama dav,

That's 24" of sand and gravel, and only 8" for dirt [ `06 IRC ].

Is yours the sand or gravel flavor?

+ + +

Most of the time it's gravel.just really wondering if the exception was my imagination or something that has been changed.

= = >

I checked the `03 IRC, ...the `00 IRC & the `97 CABO

for 1 & 2 Family Residences......That section is the same in

all editions.

< = =

The CABO 1975 edition states the same, 24" maximum lift for clean sand or gravel and 8" for earth. No other exceptions listed.(R-603.2).

It would have to be built like the second floor of a parking garage in order to forgo compaction.

Thanks,I could not find it either.Its sad to see your memory starting to fade.Its happing more and more these days.