• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sleeping room in fire station - escape window required?

Yikes

Gold Member
I have a client that wants to subdivide their sleeping room at the existing type V fire station to accommodate separate genders. (They have hired a female firefighter.) The original sleeping dorm had a small wall with a single window, and I assume this could have functioned as an escape window (though the as-built plans never labeled it as such. (Back in the day, this was a "B' occupancy.)
This new subdivision of the room will create a smaller room that does not have an escape window leading directly outdoors. It is effectively impossible to provide another window to this room within the shape of the existing building.

Question #1: does the escape window requirement apply to a sleeping room at a fire station that was originally classified as a Group B?

Question #2: could a fire official make a modification / exception for themselves based on the fact that it is firefighters in there?

Fire sprinkler system??

Door from area directly to outside???

Which year IBC is this under??

Not into IEBC, does that help?

Has not changed original use???

Last edited:
#1...It might (probably does) but more info or research would be required....
#2...You could, But in that case, don't sprinkler it, don't make them put in a Type I hood or anything else....

I always thought that the egress window was for the firefighter with oxygen bottle could get through the window. So who saves the firefighter? Maybe a fire rated corridor to shared bedrooms would allow you to use the same window. Does the window meet the 5.7 sf requirement?

Curious, are you required to install a women's bathroom in a firehouse?

Question #2
No a fire official cannot "modify" the building code and neither can the board of appeals.
IBC 2012
[A] 113.2 Limitations on authority.
An application for appeal shall be based on a claim that the true intent of this code or the rules legally adopted thereunder have been incorrectly interpreted, the provisions of this code do not fully apply or an equally good or better form of construction is proposed. The board shall have no authority to waive requirements of this code.

And he cannot waive the fire code requirements
IFC 2012
[A] 104.1 General.
The fire code official is hereby authorized to enforce the provisions of this code and shall have the authority to render interpretations of this code, and to adopt policies, procedures, rules and regulations in order to clarify the application of its provisions. Such interpretations, policies, procedures, rules and regulations shall be in compliance with the intent and purpose of this code
and shall not have the effect of waiving requirements specifically provided for in this code

Q #1: If the dorm area has two means of egress to two separate exits, then an EERO is not required.

Q #2: Only the building official can authorize a modification to the building code.

Good comments. I just started this project, and will gather the info you requested above.
Pcinspector1, to answer your question, this is in California. They already just created a single accommodation restroom with shower, and we are required to consider it gender-neutral.

So, yes, the guys can leave the seat up for their new female co-worker.

Teh fire station was built in 1967, and was classified as Group F occupancy.
However, UBC 3320 at that time only required a rescue window or door for Group H and I residential occupancies.

Q #1: If the dorm area has two means of egress to two separate exits, then an EERO is not required.

Means of egress definition states: A continuous and unobstructed path

Clarification? If your leaving an area of a building and you go through an exit door into another room to exit to the public-way, would that be allowed or would that door you have to go through meet the definition of being obstructed.

Means of egress definition states: A continuous and unobstructed path

Clarification? If your leaving an area of a building and you go through an exit door into another room to exit to the public-way, would that be allowed or would that door you have to go through meet the definition of being obstructed.
No. The definition states that the means of egress includes the exit access, the exit, and the exit discharge--all of which require doors. Therefore, if a door is considered an obstacle in one portion of the means of egress, then it would be considered an obstacle in the other portions, as well. Section 1007 addresses "Exit and Exit Access Doorways," so that shows that doorways are an essential element of the means of egress system.

Per your example, the first door would not be considered an "exit" door but an "exit access" door. The door that leads from the other room to the public way would be the "exit" door.

Per your example, the first door would not be considered an "exit" door but an "exit access" door. The door that leads from the other room to the public way would be the "exit" door.

This is the case, I agree with your summation.