• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sliding glass door threshold seems too high.

Heidi Tornberg

I recently had a sliding glass installed in my Illinois home by a popular Chicago window company. Since the installation, I have had a couple of people trip over the threshold. Luckily each person was able to catch their fall but it has left me with some serious concerns as to the height of the threshold. I called the company and they have agreed to send a technician out. On the inside, the threshold is 3 1/2 inches high from the floor to the highest point of the threshold. On the outside, it is nearly 4 inches high from the deck to the top of the threshold. I have zero knowledge of the building industry of residential codes. I have tried to research this topic online but have not been able to find much. I am seeking any advice as I prepare to meet with technician. Is there a standard threshold height? Should I expect the door to be replaced? Any help would be appreciated.

I recently had a sliding glass installed in my Illinois home by a popular Chicago window company. Since the installation, I have had a couple of people trip over the threshold. Luckily each person was able to catch their fall but it has left me with some serious concerns as to the height of the threshold. I called the company and they have agreed to send a technician out. On the inside, the threshold is 3 1/2 inches high from the floor to the highest point of the threshold. On the outside, it is nearly 4 inches high from the deck to the top of the threshold. I have zero knowledge of the building industry of residential codes. I have tried to research this topic online but have not been able to find much. I am seeking any advice as I prepare to meet with technician. Is there a standard threshold height? Should I expect the door to be replaced? Any help would be appreciated.

So was this a replacement for one that was already there??

Well you have Professionals that care about thier work, and so called professionals.

So was this a replacement for one that was already there??

Well you have Professionals that care about thier work, and so called professionals.
Yes, a replacement. The old threshold was nearly level with the floor.

And I’m just realizing I posted this in the commercial code section. I reposted in the residential.

Yes, a replacement. The old threshold was nearly level with the floor.

And I’m just realizing I posted this in the commercial code section. I reposted in the residential.

I wonder why they could not match what was there????

Unless someone measured wrong????

IBC 2012, section 1008.1.7 Thresholds. Exception for group R-2 and R-3 allows up to 7-3/4-inched if all 3 items listed are meet. 1) Not a required means of egress (is there another way out like a front door?) 2) the door is not part of an accessible route. and 3) the door is not part of an accessible unit like a Type A or Type B-unit.

Sounds like it's allowed from what you indicated in your post unless I'm missing something?

R311.3.2 Floor elevations for other exterior doors.
Doors other than the required egress door shall be provided with landings or floors not more than 73/4 inches (196 mm) below the top of the threshold.

R311.3.2 Floor elevations for other exterior doors.
Doors other than the required egress door shall be provided with landings or floors not more than 73/4 inches (196 mm) below the top of the threshold.

But is that just asking for a landing or something to step on??

And not a threshold that is not flush ??

The 2012 code commentary for that section states that the 7 3/4" can be above both the inside and outside floor surface/landing. They do acknowledge that it could be a tripping hazard, and that way of building not a common practice. Based on the IRC I would say that the installation is code compliant.

Means of Egress Doors in the IRC
Section R311.3.1 of the 2015 IRC restricts the threshold height of the required exit door in residences to 1 1/2 inches from the top of the threshold to the floor or landing on each side of the door. The rise from the floor or landing to the top of the threshold at other exterior doors within the IRC is limited to 7 3/4 inches (which is the riser height permitted for stairs).

Means of Egress Doors in the IRC
Section R311.3.1 of the 2015 IRC restricts the threshold height of the required exit door in residences to 1 1/2 inches from the top of the threshold to the floor or landing on each side of the door. The rise from the floor or landing to the top of the threshold at other exterior doors within the IRC is limited to 7 3/4 inches (which is the riser height permitted for stairs).
Thank you. You all have been very kind and helpful. I appreciate your time and expertise.