• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Small overhead hoist

cmaki

I installed a small hoist in my maintenance shop. its rated for 1200 lb lift. its a cheapo from Amazon to help me lift smaller items so i'm not working on the floor or bent over. its been a life saver on my back already.
My company contracts an engineering company to ensure we are OSHA compliant and he said my lift might not be complaint. He is wanting load data for the ceiling it is mounted to. I can't find anything from our company on load data because its such an old building. Is there any OSHA requirements on a small hoist like this?

*** If this is not the correct forum can someone please move it?

Ceiling or floor above? Span of joists?
Typical floor and ceiling joists are not designed to handle 1200 lbs.

I installed a small hoist in my maintenance shop. its rated for 1200 lb lift. its a cheapo from Amazon to help me lift smaller items so i'm not working on the floor or bent over. its been a life saver on my back already.
My company contracts an engineering company to ensure we are OSHA compliant and he said my lift might not be complaint. He is wanting load data for the ceiling it is mounted to. I can't find anything from our company on load data because its such an old building. Is there any OSHA requirements on a small hoist like this?

*** If this is not the correct forum can someone please move it?
Welcome to the forum.

Can you provide some information regarding how the lift is attached to the ceiling assembly above? Need to know how it is attached, what it is attached to, span of joists, etc.

no floor above ceiling. ceiling joists are wood 2x12s spanning 12 feet. i used strut channel to span 3 joists to spread the load out.

OSHA won’t have requirements until after an accident. 1200#s is a lot. An engineer can give you a weight limit and a method of attachment to the rafters. That will probably cost as much or more than the hoist. Post a few pictures.

Based upon the limited information and assuming a 40psf snow load, a beam calc on the joist appears to indicate that the joists could be over-stressed if lift is maxed out.

to help me lift smaller items

Find the weight of the heaviest object that you would raise using the lift. Then have the engineer verify your installation is adequate, If not then he can provide you with a design that is. POST (metal tag) the weight limit near the attachment point similar to posting the floor loading for a mezzanine storage area and you should be good. This would provide the operator with the information needed to operate the hoist safely.

It is not the maximum capacity of the hoist you need to meet it is what is the capacity of the loads being lifted.