• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Small Prefab Carport Permit Requirement

jrc111

I would like to put a small (<200 sq ft) prefab carport near my house in a rural county in Colorado. The county uses IBC 2015. My understanding is any accessory structure less than 200 ft.² in residential doesn’t require a building permit. I called the local inspector, who says a building permit is required, because the car has fuel in it and the car will be parked in the carport. Does anybody know if this is true? I can’t find any reference to that in my search through the IBC. I did find reference to fuel dispensing and car maintenance in Section 460, but neither of those are in play here.

Call him back and politely ask for a code reference. Might be a fire code. Might be a local ordinance.

I would like to put a small (<200 sq ft) prefab carport near my house in a rural county in Colorado. The county uses IBC 2015. My understanding is any accessory structure less than 200 ft.² in residential doesn’t require a building permit. I called the local inspector, who says a building permit is required, because the car has fuel in it and the car will be parked in the carport. Does anybody know if this is true? I can’t find any reference to that in my search through the IBC. I did find reference to fuel dispensing and car maintenance in Section 460, but neither of those are in play here.

Welcome

1. Find out if the county has adopted the IRC???
If so, that is what should be used.

2. Ask the nice inspector,, or if he has a boss, for the code section,,, so you can look at it, and post it here,,,, Plus see if it says anything about a car being parked under it!!!!!!!!!!!!! and that makes a permit required.

Colorado​

There are 15 counties in Colorado that are considered open with little to no building codes. Delta County, in the Western part of the state, is one. Montezuma is another, with no residential building code for their unincorporated areas.

Does your county have an """""adopted"""" building code????

Didn’t know the IRC applied, but still can’t find any reference to fuel in cars within IRC. The IRC also has the <=200 sq ft permit exemption.

This is on unincorporated land, but I couldn‘t find any fire code info at the county website.

This county is Huerfano, notorious for being sticklers about permits. The story goes that this was a way to keep hippies from building communes back in the 60’s. Getting the house built was an absolute pain. It’s not helped by being remote, so anything I can do myself works best, as contractors generally want an arm and a leg to go out there.

Probably gonna end up having to call the guy again, but I had hoped to get more info/ammo before-hand.

Inspector

Yes

I decided not to park a car under the carport. I am going to park my empty steel flat bed trailer there.

I don’t need no stinkn permit,,,, have a nice day.

I don’t think parking a car there will change design requirements?????

Didn’t know the IRC applied, but still can’t find any reference to fuel in cars within IRC. The IRC also has the <=200 sq ft permit exemption.

This is on unincorporated land, but I couldn‘t find any fire code info at the county website.

This county is Huerfano, notorious for being sticklers about permits. The story goes that this was a way to keep hippies from building communes back in the 60’s. Getting the house built was an absolute pain. It’s not helped by being remote, so anything I can do myself works best, as contractors generally want an arm and a leg to go out there.

Probably gonna end up having to call the guy again, but I had hoped to get more info/ammo before-hand.

As others have stated,,, you are able and should be shown the sections, they are trying to enforce,

If not in black and white,,, they cannot enforce it…

Does this inspector have a boss???

The IRC code section R105.2 does not exempt your carport, it exempts tool, storage sheds and playhouses. So here a permit would be required.

Not knowing the location of the carport some zoning codes may prevent you from installing a structure beyond the build line in front of your house.

Yeah, I thought about that, but he probably sneaks around and writes people up.

What are they going to make you do,,, get a permit after it is built??

Will you be able to see it from the public road ???

Re: Boss - Not a clearly defined chain of command on the county website. One might surmise the “code planner/enforcement” person is over the ”building official”, but don’t know for sure.

So if you are required a permit

Do you have to submit fancy plans , also ??

Here‘s the exemption verbiage: One-story detached accessory structures, provided that the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet (18.58 m2).

The definition of accessory structure: "Accessory structure" means a subordinate structure located on the lot, the use of which is clearly incidental to and associated with the principal structure.

Fancy plans are required, snow and wind loads, etc. The “building official” told me I didn’t have to have a Radon plan, though.

Use::: Store Steel Flat bed Empty Trailer.

So if you do not store a car under it,,, they do not care if it falls down or blows away???!

Must have other requirements or amendments.

This is what the 2012 IRC has:

R105.2 Work exempt from permit.
Permits shall not be required for the following. Exemption from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.

Building:
1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet (18.58 m2).

Fancy plans are required, snow and wind loads, etc. The “building official” told me I didn’t have to have a Radon plan, though.
How many sides to the carport? Radon? I'm taking that as humor?
What size is the carport?

Must have other requirements or amendments.

This is what the 2012 IRC has:

Permits shall not be required for the following. Exemption from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.

Building:
1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet (18.58 m2).

How many sides to the carport? Radon? I'm taking that as humor?
What size is the carport?

Some places have radon???

Carport's usually have at least two open sides if more than two it should be classified as a garage.

Radon in a garage at grade?.. Really? Radon in a garage below the home I can understand.

2018 IRC does not restrict the use

Exemption from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:

Building:

1. One-story detached accessory structures, provided that the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet (18.58 m2).