• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

smoke control special inspections

peach

This is what is in IBC 909 and 1704: Qualifications. Special inspection agencies for smoke control shall have expertise in fire protection engineering, mechanical engineering and certification as air balancers.

OK, we have FPE and ME experience, so I looked into air balancing. AABC is pretty specific about the experience required PLUS you need to maintain membership in AABC. OK - $500 to apply and dues of $550/MONTH (not year.. according to their website) just to take the 8 hour exam. The certification is ONLY valid as long as you are a member.

SO.. how many of us are inspecting smoke control systems (including stair pressurization)?

My local towns would never pay for it! Also, I don't believe any community is doing this. I would also like to know who sponsored the section in the IBC. When I first read this I never reviewed the expense side. This is special interest at it best.

It would be the responsibility of the special inspection agency not the City, so the owner's would have to bear the burden (but the agencies will have a problem). I looked into the AABC companies in the area - there are only a handful of companies with TBE certified people.

Here we only review the findings and qualification of the special inspector. It is the burden of the owner to supply the special inspector.

In my experience it would be unusual for all of those credentials to be held by a single entity.

It is now expressly permitted in 2009 IBC Section 1704.1 and 2012 IBC Section 1704.2.1 that the designer can also serve as the special inspector for the execution of their design.

AEGIS Engineering provides special inspection of smoke control systems as a part of the referenced special inspection agency. That is to say that either we team with an air balancer or there is an air balancer contracted separately with the project with whom we direct and witness. Most frequently the air balancer is engaged separate from us who is involved in building and systems commissioning in advance of our special inspections for smoke control.

For a smoke control system, the FPE designer can maintain the independence with regard to being contracted by the Owner per 1704.2 as the special inspector while the air balancer involved in the inspection process could be contracted by the G.C. or installer.

AegisFPE said:
In my experience it would be unusual for all of those credentials to be held by a single entity.It is now expressly permitted in 2009 IBC Section 1704.1 and 2012 IBC Section 1704.2.1 that the designer can also serve as the special inspector for the execution of their design.

AEGIS Engineering provides special inspection of smoke control systems as a part of the referenced special inspection agency. That is to say that either we team with an air balancer or there is an air balancer contracted separately with the project with whom we direct and witness. Most frequently the air balancer is engaged separate from us who is involved in building and systems commissioning in advance of our special inspections for smoke control.

For a smoke control system, the FPE designer can maintain the independence with regard to being contracted by the Owner per 1704.2 as the special inspector while the air balancer involved in the inspection process could be contracted by the G.C. or installer.
I knew that. :)

Some states just use a PE since they(the states) do not have trade specific engineering license.....therefore, it is up to the individual to only sign and seal reports that they feel they are adequately proficient in.....

(50 bucks and i can get the smoke control system signed off even if it isn't functioning...... True story......

I work for a third party agency; but we do a number of smoke control systems (including stair pressurization) every year.. the TBE (test/balancing Engineer) certification appears to be member company specific only.. I looked at the AABC certified companies in the metro area.. we accept the balance reports from a bunch of non member companies.. my guess is this: most jurisdications are going to overlook the requirements.