• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Smoke Detector / Alarm 3' from Mechanical return/feed

Ask for the installation instructions. I have always found it included along with the requirements for stepped ceilings, low archways, and location from ceiling corners and peaks.

R314.1 says, "Smoke Alarms shall comply with NFPA 72 and Section R314."

Is this a manufacturer's installation requirement? Is there anywhere in the codes besides NFPA 72 that requires this?

You are talking a fire alarm system detector?

not a residential smoke alarm

If system it is three feet,, and truthfully I think same with smoke alarm

It is in 72 and maybe the manufacture.
Not near the books for another week or so, but will try to dig something up

Oldie but goodie

DO NOT INSTALL DETECTORS IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
• In or near areas where particles of combustion are normally present such as kitchens; in garages (vehicle exhaust); near furnaces, hot water heaters, or gas space heaters.
• In very cold or very hot areas.
• In wet or excessively humid areas, or next to bathrooms with showers.
• In dusty, dirty, or insect-infested areas.

Near fresh air inlets or returns or excessively drafty areas. Air condition- ers, heaters, fans, and fresh air intakes and returns can drive smoke away from the detector.
4W-B or 4WT-B

2012 had a reference to NFPA 72, without specifics. 2015 and 2018 still reference NFPA 72 but added the prohibition for proximately to bathroom doors, but nothing else. The proximity and distance limitations in NFPA were always enforceable but more difficult because most don't have access to the document. For some reason in 2015 they added the one limitation and nothing else. Not sure how or why they decided to add just the one. IN MY OPINION, I think they would be better off to stick with the reference because adding just the one limitation tends to give less weight to the others. The other direction would be to include all the criteria from NFPA 72, but if they do that I'll need to hire a mule team to carry the books. Back when I was in the field I simply got a copy of the NFPA 72 section that applied and made specific notes in my code book. A lot of times the contractor would complain because they don't have the 72 document. I then showed them how the 72 provisions are covered by the instructions...which they definitely had access to before they threw them away.