• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

So London 2.0 but worse

The Ulsan Fire Department said embers hidden throughout the building’s exterior made with aluminum panels caused delays in extinguishing the fire.

Aluminum panels are more susceptible to fire than other panels as they contain polyester.

Firefighters put out a fire at a high-rise apartment building in Ulsan, after a 13-hour struggle that started late Thursday night.

A total of 91 people have been sent to hospital for smoke inhalation, but no fatalities were reported. Firefighters are continuing to search for anyone who might be inside.

The blaze broke out at 11:07 p.m. Thursday at the 33-story Samhwan Art Nouveau commercial and residential building in Ulsan, and flames, fanned by strong winds, engulfed the entire building at one point, sending hundreds of people to evacuate.

The fire was brought under control about two hours after it broke out, but strong winds disrupted the work of firefighters at the site. According to the Korea Meteorological Administration, Ulsan recorded a maximum wind speed of 30.2 kilometers per hour at 7 a.m.

The Ulsan Fire Department said embers hidden throughout the building’s exterior made with aluminum panels caused delays in extinguishing the fire.

Aluminum panels are more susceptible to fire than other panels as they contain polyester.

The fire is reported to have broken out on the 12th floor of the building that houses 127 households and shopping units, and officials are working to verify the cause of the fire. Witnesses said the exterior walls of the building appear to have caused the fire to spread quickly.

Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun called the National Fire Agency, the Korean National Policy Agency and Ulsan city government to mobilize all resources available to put out the fire and ensure the safety of the people.

Interior and Safety Minister Chin Young visited the scene to check on the response. National Fire Agency Fire Commissioner Jeong Moon-ho also visited to site to directly lead extinguishing and rescue work. Firefighters rescued 54 people from the building during the response efforts.

OK,,,

Guess people do not get the hint???

Unidentified residents told Corriere that the panels on the facade were supposed to have been fire-resistant.

and

Anomalies in the fire extinguishing system​

the fire-fighting system was found to be malfunctioning or partially compromised, in particular the system vents to be activated manually worked up to the fifth floor, they were not active between the fifth and tenth floors, while they worked partially between the tenth and eighteenth floors.[4] [12] The stairs has allowed people who were leaving the building to go down safely, because they have a mechanism that prevents smoke from entering the stairs themselves.[4]

Last edited:
The stairs has allowed people who were leaving the building to go down safely, because they have a mechanism that prevents smoke from entering the stairs themselves.[4]

Back in the mid-80’s i was a project engineer for a gc building a 49 floor high rise in Dallas. One of my “additional duties” was to verify the stairwell pressurization system worked properly. So starting about 11 pm (we had one sub that was working a second shift) I would walk down the stairs making sure all the doors were closed. Had to move air hoses and extension cords out of the way. Then i would put the hvac system in fire test mode, then go back to the top and start walking down again. About every 3rd floor i would push a mercury manometer hose under the door to the office side and record the readings.

We had to have a certain amount of pressure in the stairwell to keep smoke out, but not so much as to prevent the doors from being too hard to open. I think i had a fish scale that i used to check the opening force. The mechanical contractor was difficult to get to cooperate. We would coordinate the nights we tested, and a couple of times they would have something that prevented the test but would forget to tell us about until we found it. Missing duct elbows etc, stuff i could not correct on the spot. I remember calling the mechanical PM one time at about 2:00 am and telling him i didn't appreciate his lack of cooperation.