• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Solar explosion

ICE

Oh Well
The state of California has mandated that all new dwellings shall have solar. This will fuel a resurgence of solar projects. I say resurgence on purpose. Years ago when it was an easy sell I inspected two to five solar projects a day. It dropped to three a week and I'm back up to 1.3 per day. Ya I did the math.

Whereas before I dealt with four or five solar companies I'm seeing 1.3 new companies each day. It's a math thing. 1.3 = some of the worst contractors out there. They are entrepreneurs feeding at a rebate trough. The employees are not qualified for the task but they are largely not aware of that.

It's not proper to denigrate the people doing the work.....They are like you and me in their wants and needs so they went out got a job. On the other hand are the contractors. They are just as clueless and they know it.

Solar City (renamed Tesla) is a mystery to me. In the beginning it was all Solar City. There were a few others but most of the jobs that I inspected were Solar City. The work was substandard across the board. To demonstrate how substandard, I point to the fact that the workers would remove all
of the dead-fronts, including the service panel, and then request an inspection. Wide open
energized equipment would sit for days.

I couldn't get anyone to take action about that and it's still happening, just not often with Solar City/Tesla. It's like they went out of business. I see them some months and not others.

It's too bad because after years of bumping their heads they got it right when this happened: https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/SolarCity-Acquires-Zep-Solar-For-158-Million

All of the sudden Solar City had a class act, The hardware is stout, simple and nearly fool proof to install. The fool proof aspect was what the industry needed.

Well alas and alack the one bright spot has dimmed and now the State has screwed us all. Ten---fifteen years from now the air quality will be much improved due to electric cars...But like dad used to say, "all things pass away" and the house fires will swing the pendulum the other way.

Last edited:
When I heard the news that CA was requiring solar on new homes I wondered how this would affect my friend ICE? You just confirmed what I thought would happen. Legislators sometimes don't have all the information or they hope someone figures it out to make the legislation work or they just don't care. You choose!

I also have often wondered after a solar array has been on a house roof for several years who is called when it needs a new shingled roof? The solar company or the roofing company or both? Are there inspections?

I also have often wondered after a solar array has been on a house roof for several years who is called when it needs a new shingled roof? The solar company or the roofing company or both? Are there inspections?

Re-roofing with solar installed is difficult for everyone involved. Unless I know that there was a solar array on the building the roofer can and has kept that a secret. The solar then goes back on the roof after I have approved the final inspection for the re-roof.

I have seen contracts from solar companies that promise to R&R the array in the event of a re-roof for a set price. I recall one that had a dollar amount of $600.00 for a typical twenty panel array. Will that company still exists in fifteen years when the roof needs to be replaced?

Quite a few owners install a new roof and then install the solar. By the time the roofing has failed so to will the solar. By that time the solar systems will not be anything like what is installed today. There will not be compatible panels being manufactured. The racking company will have gone out of business years earlier. So it's off to the landfill with the solar....or not. This is not going to be a small problem.

I wonder if aluminum that has been in the sunlight for twenty years is still recyclable? It gets pitted, corroded and a buildup of pollution. They're gonna need a Sawsall to get it apart.

It’s a hoot to see solar company adds in this thread.

Last edited: