• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Solar Panels

Mule

Platinum Member
Are you guys doing anything special for solar panels other than the NEC requirements? I'm starting to get quite a few calls.

I have the four documents that Mike Holt posted, but that just pertains to NEC. I'm looking for information about permits, what type of information needs to be submitted for approval, what type of inspections need to be performed and so on. Our jurisdiction has talked about access on the roof so firemen can vent the roof.

Please post what you guys and gals are doing.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Solar Panels

FYI: There is a code change proposal (S-13-09/10) that is addressing the electrical potential and its impact on fire service ability to vent the roof.

No idea what will happen with this but its another thing to think about. Even when you disconnect the power, the photovoltaics are still energized.

Re: Solar Panels

We here require a building permit with description given of structure by contractor or owner. If the trusses are engineered (stamped), and the roofing material isn't too heavy, we don't require anything special but a building inspection when the job is complete, to check penetrations, matching plans, etc.

Other than that, we are implementing a new permit solely for solar/ wind because many installers are not electricians and do not and should not have the ability to pull an electrical permit. This allows me (the electrical inspector) to inspect by the NEC as well, and fewer jobs get done on nights and weekends. :evil: