• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Solar

ICE and conarb at the same election party? posting @ 12:09 and 1:07 am:)

Did you guys go to work today?:(

ICE and conarb at the same election party? posting @ 12:09 and 1:07 am:)

Did you guys go to work today?:(
We had to celebrate, but where is Brent, he should be ecstatic that the evil witch is gone.

Trump says he's getting out of the climate agreements, the Russian people are jubilant that the warmonger is gone (I watched it on Russian TV last night) , now can we proceed with dumping the International Codes and go back to reasonable does like the UBC? Or maybe a new code writing agency and start all over again now that we are not going to be ruling the world imposing our codes on them?

con, I ear what your saying, you should have been in KC for the code hearings, the energy code dominated several days. I heard testimony that they think we use to much water at the kitchen sink and want to change the aerator size.

I just saw a post on hear where the NFPA and the IBC has a conflict with handrail spacing. I don't remember these type conflicts when we enforced the UBC back in the 80's.

con, I ear what your saying, you should have been in KC for the code hearings, the energy code dominated several days. I heard testimony that they think we use to much water at the kitchen sink and want to change the aerator size.
Pc:

We have that in Communist California, of all the stupid code requirements the low flow toilets and faucets enrage the upper classes the most, the idea that a statist society can tell a man how much water he can use to water his lawn, flush his toilet, or brush his teeth is infuriating, especially when the reason we don't have water is "to save the fish", and the single largest consumer of water is illegal marijuana farming that they don't do anything about.

Now the question is, with withdrawing from all climate accords how are going to get this bullshit out of the codes?

I recently had an architect approved design for a two story elevator. It had a sprinkler head and smoke detector installed in the shaft that I approved @ the muni level. Then the state elevator inspector from the fire marshals office was called out to inspect. He told the GC to remove both the detector and the sprinkler head. I told the GC as long as he signs off on it and provides the overriding code I'd allow it.

The school just wanted to use the dam elevator being they paid for it, so I obliged.

Tell the elevator inspector he may no longer have an IBC/NFPA 13 building....If you omit protection in IBC, you still need detection....Just posted the section in another thread

I recently had an architect approved design for a two story elevator. It had a sprinkler head and smoke detector installed in the shaft that I approved @ the muni level. Then the state elevator inspector from the fire marshals office was called out to inspect. He told the GC to remove both the detector and the sprinkler head. I told the GC as long as he signs off on it and provides the overriding code I'd allow it.

The school just wanted to use the dam elevator being they paid for it, so I obliged.

Was there justification given as to why it must be removed?

Don't think The fed's can dictate what the state or locals can do with codes.

Since the federal government CANNOT mandate that the states adopt an energy code, they included ARRA (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) of 2009 passed by the 111th congress a "carrot" requirement that if the states adopt a plan to achieve energy conservation levels of the (2009) IECC or equivalent for residential and ASHRAE 90.1-2007 for commercial buildings additional funding for "energy" related projects is made available. These funds cannot be used to fill "budget holes".The "requirement" only applies to 2009 IECC and ASHRAE 90.1-2007.
The other thing that the Fed's are doing is sending DOE lobbyists to the ICC Code Development hearings with code change proposals. One of the changes adopted (in 2015 IECC & IRC Chapter 11) is to require all return air to be ducted. Building wall and floor cavities can no longer be used. This conflicts with the IMC and Chapter 16. Of course, the DOE said this would not increase the cost of construction.

One of the changes adopted (in 2015 IECC & IRC Chapter 11) is to require all return air to be ducted. Building wall and floor cavities can no longer be used. This conflicts with the IMC and Chapter 16. Of course, the DOE said this would not increase the cost of construction.

You can't do that here either. It has more to do with indoor air quality than energy.