• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Soundproof sliding door

giga

Hello all (sorry for bed English)

I need a soundproof door to reduce sound from the media room. The door will be open more or less every day, just will be closed when using TV or PC.

My idea is to use the same system as in picture 2 below, just put around the door this one:
From AliExpress

On bottom of door install a door sweep to soundproof a door :
From Ali Express

I'm in doubt if it's better for sound if one door slide to the left and the other on right, or if both door slide to right and can use to overlap the door. In room, I have space for both ideas. Maybe I will close the door in Knauf and they will be "invisible" when is open.

I understand that door must be more as possible massive and without gap.

Please open my eyes

Picture 1, place for new slide door

Picture 2, slide door on wardrobe

Thank you

My career was consulting on the planning and design for performing arts buildings, where much of it is about noise. Hinged doors are fairly simple, because easy to use a solid core wood door and gaskets that compress. For sliding doors, you need to accomplish similar compression on a gasket. Either the track can angle slightly so the panel gets closer to wall when closed, or "wedges" so you get a seal.

Pemko silcone gaskets work well and are fairly durable. The foam is crap. Compression is the key to a seal.

A single panel with one less joint to seal is obviously better than biparting.

And make sure you don't have flanking paths - ducts, back to back electrical boxes, single layer drywall open to common attic, annular spaces around penetrations, etc. - and probably want insulation in cc common wall.

I'm always suspicious of new posters, particularly if they have links to retail or service sites. I usually check their log-in dates. In this case, they haven't come back since the day they posted.
Links to products is a dead giveaway. Details/ numbers/ locations not making sense and no response are also give aways. I'm pretty sure ameliasolis is a bot. It's questions seem like copy/ paste from somewhere else with occasional product references. Then sometimes it bumps it's own posts and/ or posts the same question again a year later with no attempt at interaction anywhere else.