• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Special Inspection

mark handler

SAWHORSE
Firestopping -ASTM E 2174 & ASTM E 2393 "Inspection Standards"
- REQUIRES Special Inspections

How many are requiring "Special Inspections" For firestopping?

OId job, yes on high rises. New job, I am told when we adopt the 2108 we will be requiring them on all commercial jobs but not sure yet and not sure how that will work out. Seems like a little more specific criteria would be in order.

It's been required for high rise buildings and buildings in Risk Categories III and IV since the 2012 IBC was published. Other buildings would have to included by amendment.

I started calling for it on multistory wood frame....Sick of wasting my time on failed inspections....

1705.1.1 Special cases. Special inspections shall be required
for proposed work that is, in the opinion of the building official,
unusual in its nature, such as, but not limited to, the following
examples:
1. Construction materials and systems that are alternatives
to materials and systems prescribed by this code.
2. Unusual design applications of materials described in
this code.
3. Materials and systems required to be installed in accordance
with additional manufacturer’s instructions that
prescribe requirements not contained in this code or in
standards referenced by this code.

Many years ago I deputized a special inspector named Cindy to watch over a crew that was nailing roof sheathing. The buildings were huge....800,000 sq.ft. They kept over nailing and countersinking. I tired of turning down the work. Cindy would be right next to me no matter what the inspection so I put her in charge. She was tough as nails on the concrete crew and fell right into hounding the carpenters.

Ok, ok, I know some will say that it was beyond my authority to do that but considering that it worked out I would disagree.