• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Special inspector concrete and ACI

Rob

As a special inspector of reinforced concrete I want to know why I need aci concrete field tech cert. I don’t want to test concrete anymore I have done my share of making cylinders but it drives me crazy that if I don’t recert every 5 years (ACI) than my reinforcement concrete cert will not renew. If I am only wanted to inspect rebar? I wish they would allow people like me to get a rebar inspection only and let the young men and women test concrete while I do the rebar / pt. Thanks rob

The ultimate problem is not with ACI but rather with jurisdictions requiring that you have a given certification.

By requiring certifications from a private entity the jurisdiction is creating s system of occupational licensing. One might ask what authority they have to do so? Does the authority to adopt a building code include the authority to impose occupational licensing?

Creating a system of occupational licensing can be considered as a restraint of trade and thus subject to antitrust laws.

These problems go away if we realize that all concrete inspections should be done under the supervision of a registered civil engineer who would then determine whether you are qualified.

All special inspection agencies that employee special inspectors must work under the supervision of a registered design professional. Depending on the jurisdiction you may also be required to interview with that jurisdiction for each special inspection requirement you are seeking clearance to inspect. I also believe you need a minimum of 3 to 5 years of field experience and/education ie engineering degree or possible others may be acceptable.

But my original question was why needing an ACI certification when have a concrete special inspection when you only want To inspect rebar and not test concrete lol

You are focused on the wrong question.

The question of ACI certifications would be irrelevant if they were not required by somebody that could prevent you from doing inspection if you did not have the certification. If you are being supervised by a registered engineer is he not responsible for assuring that you are qualified?

If you look up icc renewals for reinforced concrete it states that u must obtain ACI field tech grade one with ceu’s to get recertified or certified. ACI field tech allows a person to sample concrete. Icc is the department that would block this.

My question is why don’t they do a separate cert for rebar only or a combo for both.

If you read the special inspections manual it requires all persons that inspect field work must have these certifications. Why in the world would the eor or their associate need it confuses me.

Example Las Vegas and city of los angels. If I do not have the certifications and experience regardless if I am working for a registered professional and/or they bless me to go to a tower project I would be rejected by the building official if I did not have the required icc certs.