• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Split Bolts for the Impaired

BB ... if you zoom in you can see UL cast/stamped in the side of the bolt. So i assume you mean the correct size? And it look like there are multiple conductors in there. Looks like a hack job.

Ok. Not being an electrician i didn't know specific connectors existed.

Not trying to step on fingers or toes, We all started somewhere and I still have a lot to learn myself. The purpose of this forum is for information and networking - I figured that you did not have any electrical experience and wanted this to be an educational moment for you as well as others.

I know enough to be trouble, and also enjoy when other more knowledgeable than me provide feedback to further educate myself.

BB ... if you zoom in you can see UL cast/stamped in the side of the bolt. So i assume you mean the correct size? And it look like there are multiple conductors in there. Looks like a hack job.

I bet it works.

Not everything turns out the way you want it.

48638489043_d5b3f351a3_h.jpg

But not everything that's wrong is awful.

48638984942_b580d5e04b_h.jpg

That little split-bolt on the neutral is awful. I would be looking that job over.....and over again.....and then one more time.

Last edited:
You asked him to do that because...............why?

It happened on a Tuesday. Ya that’s the ticket.....it happened on a Tuesday.

The other end of the armor terminates at a service cabinet. The armor stops at the point where it is clamped. The armor is not allowed to enter the cabinet. The explanation that I was given is that the current will make it to the end of the armor no matter what so that’s where it stops and the bonding bushing takes over.
If that’s true at the service cabinet I reckon it’s also true at the rod.

It happened on a Tuesday. Ya that’s the ticket.....it happened on a Tuesday.

The other end of the armor terminates at a service cabinet. The armor stops at the point where it is clamped. The armor is not allowed to enter the cabinet. The explanation that I was given is that the current will make it to the end of the armor no matter what so that’s where it stops and the bonding bushing takes over.
If that’s true at the service cabinet I reckon it’s also true at the rod.

Do as I say. Just because. I don't have a code reference or mfg installation instructions to back me up but just do as I say anyway because I am the inspector.

Do as I say. Just because. I don't have a code reference or mfg installation instructions to back me up but just do as I say anyway because I am the inspector.

Did I tell you that it was on a Tuesday? A guy that can't think outside the box is no better than the jackass you describe. Not everything has been preordained so that you don't have to think about it......just do it like this because that's how you read the code ...that is short sighted....lazy.

I discuss things with a phalanx of engineers. I ask them questions when I see something that is not spelled out in code or manufacturers installation instructions. Because of my inquisitive nature I have caused UL listings to evaporate. I have been asked by UL, ETL, etc to participate on Standard making panels. Why is that? It is because I found problems without answers.....violations with no code to match. I have played a significant role in shaping segments of the industry.

Now and then there is talk of a need to ask for a code change....submit this or that. I've done it with a correction notice.

So don't come around giving me your high-horse bs about simple stuff like I didn't think it through.

While I'm at it here's another bit of advice: It serves no purpose for you to refer to people as idiots. You have none of the back story and just one side. Wait a minute here, it does serve a purpose....just not one that you would appreciate.

Last edited:
Did I tell you that it was on a Tuesday? A guy that can't think outside the box is no better than the jackass you describe. Not everything has been preordained so that you don't have to think about it......just do it like this because that's how you read the code ...that is short sighted....lazy.

I discuss things with a phalanx of engineers. I ask them questions when I see something that is not spelled out in code or manufacturers installation instructions. Because of my inquisitive nature I have caused UL listings to evaporate. I have been asked by UL, ETL, etc to participate on Standard making panels. Why is that? It is because I found problems without answers.....violations with no code to match. I have played a significant role in shaping segments of the industry.

Now and then there is talk of a need to ask for a code change....submit this or that. I've done it with a correction notice.

So don't come around giving me your high-horse bs about simple stuff like I didn't think it through.

While I'm at it here's another bit of advice: It serves no purpose for you to refer to people as idiots. You have none of the back story and just one side. Wait a minute here, it does serve a purpose....just not one that you would appreciate.

So the fact that split bolts are not listed or labeled for use on the armor is OK? and to tell him to redo what is already not in the code is OK? I would love to see the justification for this other than a phone conversation, especially for a GEC system and products already tested and listed under UL467. Why not just tell him the unnecessary split bolts are in violation of 110.3(B) and to just remove them and the extra clamp, save money and pass the inspection? But you'd rather show how smart you are by telling to to change the location of the split bolts to another location they are in violation?

Last edited:
So the fact that split bolts are not listed or labeled for use on the armor is OK? and to tell him to redo what is already not in the code is OK? I would love to see the justification for this other than a phone conversation, especially for a GEC system and products already tested and listed under UL467. Why not just tell him the unnecessary split bolts are in violation of 110.3(B) and to just remove them and the extra clamp, save money and pass the inspection? But you'd rather show how smart you are by telling to to change the location of the split bolts to another location they are in violation?

250.62(E)(1) General. Ferrous metal raceways and enclosures for grounding electrode conductors shall be electrically continuous from the point of attachment to cabinets or equipment to the grounding electrode and shall be securely fastened to the ground clamp or fitting. Ferrous metal raceways and enclosures shall be bonded at each end of the raceway or enclosure to the grounding electrode.

Apparently you don't think straight when you're flustered.

250.62(E)(1) General. Ferrous metal raceways and enclosures for grounding electrode conductors shall be electrically continuous from the point of attachment to cabinets or equipment to the grounding electrode and shall be securely fastened to the ground clamp or fitting. Ferrous metal raceways and enclosures shall be bonded at each end of the raceway or enclosure to the grounding electrode.

Apparently you don't think straight when you're flustered.

Oh I'm thinking straight. Yeah, I'm aware of the bonded at both ends. Not a problem if you use the correct clamp for the job. In your case, you approved a clamp that is not listed for the job and had them add 1 or 2 (for the feed through) split bolts that are NOT listed for use to clamp on the armor of single conductor armored cable. If you would have just had them put on the correct clamp, all of the unnecessary work and parts would have been avoided. Instead you took a non-compliant installation and made it further non-compliant.

The clamp would look something like this and be listed for use with a single conductor armor cable listed under UL467. One clamp for the armor and one screw for the conductor.
Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 13.23.47.png

Last edited:
Here you are in post #8: "OK, they went above the code. Nice."

Then I told you that I had the clamps moved and you went off the rails. It went from nice to a dastardly dead.

The homeowner that did the work received plenty of corrections. I could have made him replace the armored #4 because he used the wrong clamps. Or did he? Looking at the clamp with the strap; I see that his acorns provide a larger contact area. Having seen a thousand clamps I am aware that the armor comes detached with regularity. I doubt that the acorns will loosen.

You mentioned the added expense before you said just remove the acorns and call it good. I didn't add anything...what you see is the way I found it.... but had I asked him to do the work over with what you think is the only option.......well then all of the armor would be too short. It would be worthless spider habitat in a junk pile. He would have a story about an inspector that made him replace stout clamps for what isn't. He would lament the waste of all that material....alllllll the way back to the panel.

Yes I hear you...so what....he has a story.....lots of people do. The difference here is that he would be telling the truth. I have a reputation as tough but fair. I don't cut many corners nor do I slam their foreheads into those corners.

I decided that if the clamps are moved it will approximate the real deal to such a degree as to be a push...... knowing that the clamps are there for the one time occurrence of a utility failure. The clamps will perform, and the owner has nothing to be concerned about.

Last edited:
ICE, I may not always agree with your methods, but I hope you are not picking up your toys and going home.

I think you usually enjoy a bit of sparring......

ICE, I may not always agree with your methods, but I hope you are not picking up your toys and going home.

I think you usually enjoy a bit of sparring......

I'll be around.

Last edited: