• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Spot the violations

RJJ

Co-Founder
Do you think they need a permit?

IMG_1123.jpg
IMG_1122.jpg

It is hard to see but it looks like they have a nice interior renovation, a new porch and possibly an addition??? Also have discarded materials (zoning violation), peeling paint and possibly a rotten old porch. What did I miss? Is that a new chimney? Is that a new addition on the back? I have a head ache.

Nope,

They've been there a long time; and ain't going to be selling anytime soon. Do you know what is living in the attic?

Uncle Bob

Looks like they perhaps may need a violation notice; can't say if a permit would be necessary.... here, it would be designated historic, and therefore costly.

UB: No I don't know what is in the attic. Waiting on the search warrant! LOL

Two weeks ago I issued an enforcement notice on dead sheep! That was my first mission. Had a voice mail not to come back on his property. The buzzards ate one of the sheep and I believe he burned the other. Court this week on that issue. The my board said cite all violations. I have only been in this town about a year. There are so many issues that my head is about to pop.

Peach: it is a Historic structure. Dating back to before the battle of the Brandywine. It has been in this condition as long as I can remember. I guess now that Marshall Dillon has arrived they want all these messes cleaned up.

Photos are from the right of way. When I get the warrant I will have better ones.

Violation: IPMC 2009 just start with 304 and continue on. That notice will be sent and nail to the door Monday 9-12-10. I believe I will be carrying when I return. You know threats and all that!

Issues aside, great looking old place, tho I never liked roof junctures hard up under 2nd fl window sills like that.

If it's looked like that since the beginning of time, why is it now an issue, RJ? Pennsyltucky.. funny!

Thanks

Peach: "Pennsyltucky" That's what our northern Mountain people refer to us Southern more civilized folks. It is a within the state joke!

This property has been falling on hard times for years. About 30 years ago an addition was place on the back. You can see the mortar line. The people that own it now have just done a poor job with up keep. A number of repairs have been started and never finished. Windows not seen are roted and debris is all over the property. Including dead sheep. The town has some rather steep ordinances including , but not limited to IPMC. I have notice the condition of this property in decline for years. Long before I became the enforcer. Often wonder way this has not been addressed. Well, it is now my charge. I have also been given the directive to get it in order.

I have also been given the directive to get it in order.""""

Sounds like a ten year project!!!

Don't you love job security

RJJ stated:

That notice will be sent and nail to the door Monday 9-12-10.
As a suggestion , do not "nail" anything as notification. Tape it to the door AND takea picture with the correct date on it.

The owners do not need to be able to say that you partially destroyed / devalued their door

with your nailing.

As a reminder note: Please remember that regardless of the owner's housekeeping

practices, they are still American citizens with rights and that they are still afforded a

"due process." ;)

Declining condition of "housing stock" becomes a public concern as owners defer maintenance due to financial straits.

Whatever the rulebook says it is hard to force people to fix something they can't afford to.

It is a problem similar to, I think, the one of escalating value that taxes owner occupants out of ownership.

I have personally met a guy whose mother was forced out of a house she occupied for fifty years, and had paid for twenty years prior, but could no longer afford the taxes.

Jim: I have to agree with ya on hard times. I am the first to try and help people on hard times. This property owner does not fall into that classification. First, his property is 23 ac. worth in this community about 2+ million. He does not work because he owns about 15 other slum dwellings in other towns.

On the flip side I am not always the bad guy! Last year I was call in by the Fire department on a chimney fire in a single family home. I only to fire inspection in that AHJ. When I arrived at the site 12-23-09 a rather larger hole was in the roof and gable end. When I started to question the house wife she informed me they had lost the home to the bank and now just rented till the end of the year. Next, I notice 4 rather young children all bundle up. When I ask are you trying to heat this house with wood? She replied Yes! We have no fuel for the furnace. She then said you can inspect what ever you need to, because I need to get to the Hospital. My husband is having brain surgery this morning. Off she went. My first thought was this lady doesn't need me in her life at this time. As I left the property I called the township manager. My response was this community need to help these people. On Christmas eve the propane tank was filled and some of the towns people brought food. There was no tree or decorations. No presents for the children, but at least they had heat and food. I later got a few contractors to do a quick fix to keep the elements out. Never saw them again. The bank forced them out at the end of the month. Did the best I could for a bad situation.

the "worth" of a piece of property or the property owners other net holdings does not mean he has the liquid assest (cash) to make the required repairs. Personally I would start with the other 15 slum dwellings he owns rather than the one he chooses to live in. The tenants can invite you in and the landlord can't stop it.

rjj,

I wasn't criticizing your work, but the setting and description prompted me on one of my little lecture topics.

In our county is one lady who owns over 400 rental properties, so many she has forgotten about some of them, so many some of her "tenants" haven't paid her for years. Times I have dealt with her re one or the other that blips the radar for some reason, she acts or plays really dumb, same way she behaves before the magistrate. One of those, I guess, who make life interesting.

JIM: I didn't take it as criticism! We all face these issue every now and then! Some we have to be the heavy and some we can try to help. Enforcing property maintenance issue is perhaps the lowest form of inspection we have to deal with. Not the best way to spend a day.