• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

spray room surfaces IBC 316.2.1

Hyrax4978

So I find myself in the initial phase of the first "spray room" that i have ever done. going through the IBC and IFC looking at sprinklers etc. 416.2.1 surfaces has me baffled.
Interior surface shall be smooth and shall be so constructed to permit the free passage of exhaust air from all parts of the interior... etc.

Can someone offer an example of an affordable wall option. Commentary states rough, corrugated and uneven are not an option.
So metal liner panels, masonry plywood etc are all out.

They paint large objects. the room is about 3,000 SF and will hold a few items trailered in to be painted.

Help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Have to be able to clean the paint build up off of them,

Is there something about metal liner panels, that makes them non cleanable??

Sorry have not done a spray room in along time. Cannot remember if they were dry wall or not.

The commentary stated that corrugated walls are tough to clean. rough, corrugated or uneven surfaces were not considered applicable in spray rooms.
other than applying flat sheet steel I can't think of much that would meet any requirement. Sheetrock is going to be difficult to clean due to its inability to resist damage when being scraped.

Since the size of the room,, You might look at an approved applied coating.

smooth/ cleanable

Give it a few days for others to respond

Give them a call

You might try to find a fire protection engineer that has done spray rooms before. Or

a company that actually does spray rooms and cut out the problems

Structural steel and sheet metal are needed to completely enclose aircraft paint booths. In addition to making the aircraft paint booth more durable, structural steel and sheet metal offer smooth interior walls and surfaces that are easier to clean and less susceptible to overspray contamination. Another large expense is bottom-rolling filter doors or plenum filter doors for the opening in the aircraft paint booth; these doors help reduce external contaminants, such as dust and dirt.

I have only had a few projects with paint spray rooms and in each case prefab systems equipt with all the required exhaust and accessories were used. That's where I would start before trying to design and build one from scratch. Even though they are pre-fab they are entirely customizable, similar to walk in coolers and freezers.

When you have unusual shape or size objects,,,

A spray room is the way to go.

There are replaceable stuff you can put on the walls, so you just remove replace, when you have paint build up.

Have not seen it used.

This client definitely needs flexibility. he needs time to prep, and once prepped can not move the objects. they are large, upwards of 35 to 40 long in some cases.

I think instead of trying to design one

Go with a manufacture

The other thought is talk to a fire protection engineer that has done spray rooms before