• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sprinkler head clearance

e hilton

Bronze Member
Commercial retail space. Client is wanting to relocate a partition wall. How far away from the wall does the sprinkler head need to be?
The first version of the plans ignored the existing flush recessed head, and the new partition is shown directly under the head. That’s not going to work. So the idea is to put the wall where it won’t interfere with the head. Considering that the AoR missed the head the first time, I don’t trust them to have the right answer this time.

Commercial retail space. Client is wanting to relocate a partition wall. How far away from the wall does the sprinkler head need to be?
The first version of the plans ignored the existing flush recessed head, and the new partition is shown directly under the head. That’s not going to work. So the idea is to put the wall where it won’t interfere with the head. Considering that the AoR missed the head the first time, I don’t trust them to have the right answer this time.

There are a few variables involved

Minimum distance off a wall four inches.

Now with that said

On an existing building, a wall can be moved and that can throw the maximum distance allowed off a wall,,, offf

Or it can throw off the sprinkler coverage on the other side.

Normally maximum off a wall is 7’6”.
But that is for a standard sprinkler

If extended coverage were installed, than the distance off a wall can be greater.

Not sure if I answered your question

And with out seeing it hard to give a solid answer

Any pictures????

Hmm. Ok, close enough. I would have thought a foot or so, so the spray pattern wasn’t obstructed.

All standard spray sprinklers have four-inch minimum spacing from walls and maximums that vary with room shape and size
All standard sprinkler heads—pendent, upright, and sidewall—have the same minimum sprinkler distance from walls: four inches. For sidewall heads, that's the distance from an end wall (10.3.4.3.1). Pendent and upright sprinkler heads keep this minimum distance from all walls (10.2.5.3). In doing so, these heads stay away from sources of cool air that might delay their activation or surfaces that could block the intended spray pattern.

sidewall-minimum-distance-600.png

Four inches can ensure heads activate on time. Source: NFPA 13 Handbook

Thats a nice graphic, too bad they don’t show a pendant head.

You have to turn the picture sideways!!

And it becomes a pendant

All standard sprinkler heads—pendent, upright, and sidewall—have the same minimum sprinkler distance from walls: four inches.

4 inches.

Sub-question. 4” clearance ... measured to the center of the head, or closest point?

I think it is to deflector

“””Whether that dimension is measured from the line of the sprinkler or the nearest edge of the deflector is subject to the interpretation of the code official.”””

Last edited:
You have to turn the picture sideways!!

And it becomes a pendant

All standard sprinkler heads—pendent, upright, and sidewall—have the same minimum sprinkler distance from walls: four inches.
sprinkler heads at 4 inches from a wall or ceiling must have a deflector to minimize damage from spraying water

@cda , @James Davis ,Just found this thread. Effectively not clear. All figures in the book are showing distances from center of sprinkler.

Anybody found a specific reference specifying if it is from side or center? We have a pendant head in a closet with a 4 in. distance to the wall and the fire department is challenging us... For now the only thing we can refer to are the images showing the center of heads...

New system or existing ??

How many sq ft is the closet ?

I believe it is measured to the fusible bulb or metal
Will check

@cda , @James Davis ,Just found this thread. Effectively not clear. All figures in the book are showing distances from center of sprinkler.

Anybody found a specific reference specifying if it is from side or center? We have a pendant head in a closet with a 4 in. distance to the wall and the fire department is challenging us... For now the only thing we can refer to are the images showing the center of heads...

Some opinions

I think most slant to the element

My opinion ... if you can measure 4” to any part of the head, it should be ok. The difference is ... what ... an inch max? Clearly they are complying with the intent of the code.

Having said that ... we used to install the heads on a double 90 drop arm so they could be easily adjusted to fall in the center of a ceiling tile. Adjusting it to gain the half inch or so would be simple.