• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sprinkler system requirement for a mixed use 4800 sq ft bldg?

Smokey

Hello, I have a 4800 sq ft commercial (mixed use) building built in the 1950's with a restaurant and tap room on the bottom floor and a single 1000 sq ft apartment on the second floor. I am in the process of upgrading the upstairs by renovating the kitchen area replacing the windows from single pane and installing new flooring material . This is in a small town of around 300 people, in Washington State. The part time building inspector stopped by yesterday while I was swapping out the front window and told me that I needed to pull a permit to change out the window (which I did that day, even though their permit did not list windows anywhere and I had to write it in and put an estimated cost) He also told me that I would need to install a sprinkler system in the upstairs as well as the entire downstairs if I wanted to use the upstairs space as an apartment/second home. I told him that I thought that only applied to new construction building over 5000 sq ft. not existing units. He said it applies to all mixed use commercial/residential space. I said that I was not doing any major remodeling only fixing the place up a bit, he said it did not mater, and if I wanted the city to permit it as residential upstairs I would need to install a sprinkler system, otherwise it could only be used for storage or office space with no sleeping area. When I look at the code I can not find what he is referencing can anyone help me?

I am from WA, so I am familiar with our state code. Couple things I'd like to know before we proceed.

When was the apartment constructed? Is it original to the building, or was the space converted to an apartment? If converted, was it done so with permits in place?

What other work is being done? You mention a window, but indicate that you are "only fixing the place up a bit". What else are you doing?

Based upon the above answers, I can see that you may fall under the classification of either a Level 1 or Level 2 Alteration, or possibly a Change of Occupancy/Use. Provisions of the WA State Existing Building Code (amended 2018 IEBC) will apply.

I highly suspect that a change of occupancy occurred at some point; which, if that is the case, the following WA-EBC section (1004.1) would have applied. Given that all Group R occupancies have required fire sprinklers for the last few code cycles, fire sprinklers were likely required - that is, unless the apartment has been existing since pre-2000's.

1004.1 General

Fire protection requirements of Section 1011 shall apply where a building or portions thereof undergo a change of occupancy classification or where there is a change of occupancy within a space where there is a different fire protection system threshold requirement in Chapter 9 of the International Building Code.

1011.2.1 Fire Sprinkler System

Where a change in occupancy classification occurs or where there is a change of occupancy within a space where there is a different fire protection system threshold requirement in Chapter 9 of the International Building Code that requires an automatic fire sprinkler system to be provided based on the new occupancy in accordance with Chapter 9 of the International Building Code, such system shall be provided throughout the area where the change of occupancy occurs.

Thank you for your response, the upstairs area has been an apartment's since the 80's or longer. there is an existing bedroom, bathroom, shower room, kitchen/great room area. the improvements include replacing the single pane windows, updating the electrical, installing new flooring and carpet. retiling the shower room, replacing toilet and bath vanity/sink in bath room, replacing panel board on walls with sheetrock, repainting entire space.

Well, given the scope of work you have identified, and given that the building is greater than 4000sf, Washington State Law (18.08.410) requires a licensed architect be preparing your plans. See https://www.dol.wa.gov/business/designproguidelines/architectexempt.html

The walls within the unit, particularly those separating the Group R and Group A uses, should be fire resistant construction. Given that you are working in many different rooms/spaces, you may have a work area that exceeds 50% of the building area. If that is the case, we are now into the realm of a Level 3 Alteration, which can also include triggers for adding a fire sprinkler system.

Generally speaking, you need to stop work, get a licensed architect involved, and go from there. There may be an opportunity to avoid fire sprinklers, but I'd generally say that you may need to add fire sprinklers.

Best of luck!