• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stacked W/D in Type B Units

GrantfromLewis

Hey everyone and happy election day!

I'm currently working on a multi-story apartment building in Washington state and am being told (what I think) is incorrect information.

In all type A units, a side by side washer and dryer have been installed. In all type B units however, a stacking washer and dryer have been installed. Is this acceptable per ICC and FHA?

From what I gather, the max control height of the dryer is 48" AFF. There are units that could have the stacks separated but in other areas the closet space would not allow for that.

I've referenced ICC A117.2009: 1004.10, ICC A117.2009: 1004.10.1, ICC A117.2009: 305.3 and ICC A117.2009: 308.2.1

I have been told that the stackable W/D is compliant although the controls are over 48".

Thanks for the help!

You are correct, and the plans examiner is mistaken. Section 1004 of A117.1-2009 provides the only requirements that apply to a Type B units. 1004.10 does not specify anything other than a clear floor space.

1604435659785.png

If the unit must be converted to a Type A per a renters request, then you would have to complete the necessary renovations to accommodate at that time.

Thanks classicT

Just so I'm clear, type B units can have W/D that are stacked and the top controls are over 4 feet?

Thanks classicT

Just so I'm clear, type B units can have W/D that are stacked and the top controls are over 4 feet?
I see no reason to reject it, so long as it can be converted in the future. Type B are not intended to be accessible; just readably convertible to accessible.