• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stair Egress Signage

What makes the situation so complex that you need signage at the intermediary landing?

I honestly can't answer that. My client has had the building designed that way and, as the graphic designer, I am having to come up with signage solutions to meet their needs.

Well, if it's a standard stairway and the exit for the building is on the bottom level, there is no requirement for exit signage on an intermediary landing. If there's an exit sign at the top of the stairs indicating the stairs as a means of egress, then that's all that's required--people go down to the bottom of the stairs and exit. Since there is no required signage at the intermediary landing, you can pretty much do whatever you want (except instruct people to go back up the stairs).

The emergency exit is actually located at the intermediary landing between levels 1 & 2. Level 2 is actually the ground level while levels 0 & 1 consist of an underground parking garage.

That is the complexity that I was seeking. Based on the number of stories connected by the stairway, I'm assuming the stairway is enclosed. If there is a door off the intermediary landing that is the level of exit discharge, then that door must be marked in accordance with Chapter 10 of the IBC, which requires an illuminated exit sign per Section 1013. A barrier gate is also required to prevent people from going further down the stairs beyond the exit discharge door per Section 1023.8. Other signage per Section 1023.9 is also required.

All section references are to the 2018 IBC. If another edition of the IBC is adopted where this building is located, then section numbers may be slightly different.

Ok. I understand all that, but the main issue I am having is the wording from the interior stairwell ID signage. I don't know to label a landing between two levels. Normally the signs denote "down to Level 1 for exit" or "up to level 2 for exit", etc. but I don't know what the nomenclature would be for an exit at an intermediary landing would be. I wish I knew how to attach a photo to show you an example (if you don't already know which type of sign I am referring to.)

If you're referring to the stairway floor number sign per Section 1023.9, which requires stating the story of and direction to the exit discharge, then I would state "Exit at landing between 1st and 2nd Stories."

That's exactly the sign type in question. That's the wording I thought would be correct but I wanted a more informed opinion than my own. Thank you SOOOOO much! I will finally be able to wrap this project up & put it to bed.

Again, thank you SOOOO much!! Have a fabulous weekend!

Even an intermediate exit discharge landing would require a party to go up or go down..... so the wording should stay the same..... unless I am miss, the landing continuing past the exit discharge should have a gate or other barrier to prevent you from continuing past the level of exit discharge.... so what difference does it make if your sign states to continue down one flight of stairs...... as in this case a flight of stairs is only 1/2 of the totoal number of flights of stairs needed to travel from the 1 st floor to the basement.