• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stair with stadium seating - handrail required?

nealderidder

Sawhorse
I'm wondering what code exception (CBC in particular) allows these monumental stairs with seating (pic attached). We're doing a lot of these in CA but I don't see what exception (to handrails required at both sides of stair) allows this...

1029.15 (CBC) seems like the right neighborhood but seems to call for a discontinuous handrail (1029.15.1) rather than NO handrail.

Any insights?

Attachments

• stadium stair.JPG
    stadium stair.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 11
This is considered assembly seating (much like bleachers) and the stairs at the sides must conform with Section 1029.14.2 for stepped aisles and Section 1029.16 for handrails.

This is considered assembly seating (much like bleachers) and the stairs at the sides must conform with Section 1029.14.2 for stepped aisles and Section 1029.16 for handrails.

I think 1029.16 = CBC 1029.15 Handrails. This section says "...shall be provided with handrails...either at one or both sides of the aisle..." Is this what gets me out of that second handrail?

The 1029.14.2 = CC 1029.13.2 Stepped Aisles

I think 1029.16 = CBC 1029.15 Handrails. This section says "...shall be provided with handrails...either at one or both sides of the aisle..." Is this what gets me out of that second handrail?

The 1029.14.2 = CC 1029.13.2 Stepped Aisles
Are you sure you're in the right code? Isn't CA on the 2019 CBC?

Of course, my bad. I've got a PDF of the 2016 CBC that's all bookmarked and annotated. I'm having a hard time letting go of it!
No problem.

To answer your question in your previous email, yes, that would eliminate the requirement to have railings on both sides.