• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stairs at Sidewalks

Mech

2015 IBC
University Campus in Pennsylvania

Must stairs connecting sidewalks / paved pathways between buildings comply with the IBC?

2015 IBC
University Campus in Pennsylvania

Must stairs connecting sidewalks / paved pathways between buildings comply with the IBC?
If the stairs are in the designated Means of Egress, definitely

Others will chime in, but more importantly what part of the IBC stair code are you not trying to meet?

And for what reason are you not building the stairs to code?

And for what reason are you not building the stairs to code?
Because I don't want to.

Seriously though, I am analyzing existing stairs (stepping 48" long sidewalks) that supposedly weren't built that long ago and we are trying to determine if they meet code or if they need to be replaced.

"Required" egress must be accessible and "connect to public ways", unless an area of refuge is provided.
What you have is not best practice.

1104.2 Within a Site
At least one accessible route shall connect accessible buildings, accessible facilities, accessible elements and accessible spaces that are on the same site.

Exceptions:
  1. An accessible route is not required between accessible buildings, accessible facilities, accessible elements and accessible spaces that have, as the only means of access between them, a vehicular way not providing for pedestrian access.
  2. An accessible route to recreational facilities shall only be required to the extent specified in Section 1110.

It's best for them to meet code even if they're not required for egress. If somebody trips their attorney will claim they are dangerous if he finds anything that doesn't meet code. I try to make outdoor steps with a 6" rise & 12" tread if I have the room.

Thanks for the information everyone.

There are additional steps to be constructed that will definitely conform to meet today's codes / standards / requirements.

I will have to get more information to see if the existing steps are compliant or not. I do believe the university wants to correct them if they are not compliant.

Mech,

My understanding is If the stairs are existing, they are required to meet the "Building Code" that was adopted and enforced at the time they were built.

If the stairs are located in an area required to meet ADA, then my understanding is even though they are OK for local, they would need to be replaced to meet ADA, because ADA is a federal law, not a building code.

# # ~ ~ >

O,K, ...so suppose the stairs in question, on the Pennsyl-tucky
campus are not a MOE, only stairs between different levels of
grade........Now, do they have to have Handrails ?.......If so,
which Code Section is applicable ?

Also, whatever happened to
** Old Red ** ?.......Her hubby
fell on a slippery surface outside their apartment complex,

and I believe they were in litigation [ i.e. - lack of handrailing
at some MOE steps outside of their apartment complex ].

< ~ ~ # #

North Star,

The OP is asking about pathways and stairs between buildings on a campus, so access to public ways that are not the designated MOE would still need to comply if newly installed.

What ever was installed prior is subject to when permits were pulled, inspected and closed with C/O, if they were even required when built.

As to the OP 2nd posting, if the sidewalks are interrupted with single changes in elevation between 2 landings, then no handrails would be required per PA IBC.

The min landing is 48", thus as long as each questioned elevation change, "landing", meets the 48" Min, then though it looks like a stairway, by definition it is successive landings with no tread between any of the landings, thus no handrails required.

However, for liability reasons one would highly suggest adding compliant handrails.

I guess the university is rolling in the dough because they have decided to replace the existing stairs / walks.

This because they must remove barriers to access per the ADA, not the building code; then they must also comply with local code if code is more restrictive.