• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stairway Area of Refuge

MDTA

1009.3.3 requires an area of refuge at stairways. Exception 1 states that an AOR is not required where two-way communication is provided at the elevator landing. I don't see anything saying that the elevator has to be within a certain proximity of the stair in question or any other limitations. So if you have one elevator and two stairs, are both stairs exempt from the AOR requirement?

Exception 1 applies only to exit access stairways. If your stairways are exit stairways, then this exception would not apply.

Since the code is silent on distance, then there is no limitation on how far away the elevator is located.

The building is two-stories. Both stairways are unenclosed as allowed by 1019.3, so both are exit access. Per 1009, both are required to be accessible means of egress, which means both are subject to the AOR requirement. The elevator is adjacent to one of the stairs. The other stair is on the opposite side for remoteness. Seems odd that two-way communication at one location would satisfy both stairs, but I don't see anything that prevents it.

It is. If you're thinking thinking of 1009.3.3 exception 2, NJ deleted that exception in their version of the code. No idea why. I thought about creating a separate post on here to see if there's anyone from NJ who has background on that. Seems changes like that often come on the heels of a catastrophic event, but not sure in this case. But anyway, that's part my problem.

Exception 1 applies only to exit access stairways. If your stairways are exit stairways, then this exception would not apply.
I don’t understand that. Whats the difference between exit access stairways and exit stairways.

I don’t understand that. Whats the difference between exit access stairways and exit stairways.
Exit stairways (IBC Section 1023) are required to be enclosed with fire-resistance-rated assemblies and terminate at the level of exit discharge. Exit access stairways (IBC Section 1019) are not required to be enclosed if atmospherically connecting two stories or stairs within a single story, and they are not required to terminate at the level of exit discharge.