• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stairwell Pressurization - Exit door to self close against 50Pa pressure differential across door?

ncmiata

Hi,
I would like clarification regarding whether if it is required by NFPA or IBC for the exit door to self close after it has been opened? The staircase pressurization fan would be running to maintain a pressure differential of 50Pa across the all the staircase door when they are all kept closed.

Please note that the exit door in question opens towards the exit direction.

IBC 716.5.9 requires fire doors to be latching and self-closing. NFPA 80 has a similar requirement in Chapter 5 and more specifically in par. 6.1.3.2.1.

50 Pa is about 1 PSF, or 20 lb. on a 3'-0" x 6'-8" (roughly 900 x 2000 mm) door. This is within the opening force allowed by IBC 1010.1.3.

Do you mean exit door (door from building into the stairway) or exit discharge door (exterior door at bottom of the stairway to the outside)?

@RLGA
I mean the exit discharge door. In this case the door opens to a lobby that leads to outside. See below depiction of the layout. Circled in red is the door I am asking about. Does the door need to self close completely in the following situation ?:
  1. Staircase pressurization system running and maintaining a pressure differential of 50Pa across the doors when all doors are closed.
  2. The door circled in red is opened for a person to exit the staircase (all other doors within the stair case are still closed).

STIARCASE.jpg

@RLGA
I mean the exit discharge door. In this case the door opens to a lobby that leads to outside. See below depiction of the layout. Circled in red is the door I am asking about. Does the door need to self close completely in the following situation ?:
  1. Staircase pressurization system running and maintaining a pressure differential of 50Pa across the doors when all doors are closed.
  2. The door circled in red is opened for a person to exit the staircase (all other doors within the stair case are still closed).

STIARCASE.jpg

if that is a rated enclosure

Than the door should and normally is required to be rated,

If required to be rated,,,, It shall close,,,

No matter if every other door in the building is shut.

@RLGA

STIARCASE.jpg
Yes, the walls surrounding the stairway are required to be fire barrier assemblies. All openings in a fire barrier assembly are required to comply with Section 716, which states in Section 716.2.6 (2018 IBC) "Fire doors shall be latching and self- or automatic closing in accordance with this section." If it was an exterior door opening to the outside, then the door would likely not be required to comply with Section 716 unless Section 705.8 required it.

Yes, the walls surrounding the stairway are required to be fire barrier assemblies. All openings in a fire barrier assembly are required to comply with Section 716, which states in Section 716.2.6 (2018 IBC) "Fire doors shall be latching and self- or automatic closing in accordance with this section." If it was an exterior door opening to the outside, then the door would likely not be required to comply with Section 716 unless Section 705.8 required it.

Thank you for your help. That makes sense.