• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

State specific certification

Joe.B

As a new inspector in California I have been taking the ICC certification exams that are specific to CA. My reason for this is that I use the CA building code books, and have access to those books for studying and testing. My new boss (5th Building Official in 3 years, it's been rough) has used the ICC certifications with the opinion that if he ever moves out of CA then his certifications are still useful. So I have three questions:

1. If you're in a state that has unique certifications, do you recommend that certification, or the general ICC certifications and why?

2. Does anybody have experience comparing the state specific exams to the general exams?

3. Does your city/county/state organization accept or recognize a state specific certification if it's not your state? For example if I applied for an inspector position in your state (not CA) would I need to re-take all of my certifications?

Thanks for your time.

Depends

Not on the bldg side,

Put I am thinking that you first want what your city requires

Than, I would say any State certifications

Lastly ICC certs.

Normally state specific certs, are only good in that state.

Some states do offer reciprocity, you may have to take their test to get it, but some recognize the training you have had.

Other advice, unless you plan on moving out of state, check other Calif city web sites, for openings, and see what certs they are requiring,
If you see a recurring one get it!

you can also check through this and look for what certs keep popping up in Calif and other states::::

The other thing is do not get Cert Happy, without knowing what that cert is all about. Some people look like a PHD on paper, but have no knowledge.

If you have not heard, there are ICC chapters and Building Official chapters that meet and talk, and also have classes.

I obtained my first certs in Oregon over 25 years ago, then worked in Washington, Montana and back in Oregon. Each state thinks they're the best.

Oregon requires it's code professionals to have state certifications. Thankfully, they recognize ICC certifications as part of the path to become an Oregon Certified inspector, plans examiner or building official.

Personally, I have chosen to keep all of my ICC certifications active. These days, you never know what the future holds, so it's best to be over prepared.

Last edited:
Two good books to get

May not be calif specific, but most of the base code is the same, and does not change that much between editions

A great web site:::

I Would expect that most states would recognize the ICC certs if they meet or exceed there requirements. Here in NM you have to take a state test also. Generally you can get hired and have up to 12 months to get the required certs. I actually to the state one first so I could start inspecting then took my ICC certs after.

As CDA pointed out you generally can find what they require when looking at the positions and some states have the info available.

Thank you all for the quick replies! So far what I have discovered is that the CA Electric code is the NEC with a few additions, mostly OSHPOD and administrative additions. Plumbing and mechanical are based off of the Uniform Plumbing/Mechanical codes which appear to be more strict than the IPC/IMC. The CBC/CRC are based off of the IBC/IRC with one huge glaring difference. The CA Res code does not include any electrical, plumbing, or mechanical. It's really just the first half of the IRC. My 4th BO was from Washington State and she was blown away that I got my Residential Inspector Cert first after only a few months in the job. Then when I looked at her copy if the IRC it was clear why... My city does not require CA specific tests, but if I want to get general ICC certs I would have to get my own books. So far I have res building, res plumbing, and all four of the commercial certs which earned me the combo cert. All CA specific. I have yet to see a CA job posting that requires CA certs, hence this line of questioning. I'm starting to think that maybe I should start taking the general ICC certs instead of the CA specific ones...

My payment came out in Oct. 2020

I don’t think Jar takes Bitcoin, or maybe he bought those new tires???

Send him a note. More than likely just has to check and flip the switch. It happens

Does it show you are paid up under upgrade??

In California there is no such thing as a state specific certification of inspectors. There is Health and Safety Code section 18949.28 which requires some certification from a source determined by the local agency. Thus it is up to the local agency to determine which certifications are acceptable as a condition of employment.

The reality is that there is relatively few differences between the IBC the California Building Code. As an employee of a local building department you will not be inspecting schools or hospitals.

In California there is no such thing as a state specific certification of inspectors. There is Health and Safety Code section 18949.28 which requires some certification from a source determined by the local agency. Thus it is up to the local agency to determine which certifications are acceptable as a condition of employment.

The reality is that there is relatively few differences between the IBC the California Building Code. As an employee of a local building department you will not be inspecting schools or hospitals.

Even Plumbing??

Interesting.

Are there certs on the State Fire side? for fire inspectors?

Agreed, the state does not have a testing program and they don't issue certifications. However, when signing up for ICC certifications there are CA specific certifications available. As I mentioned above I chose these because the CA books were available to me. The CBC and IBC are close enough that I could see interchanging those two test with little difficulty, however someone could be in for a shock if the took the IRC test after passing the CRC test, see above.

Even Plumbing??

Interesting.

Are there certs on the State Fire side? for fire inspectors?

The CA plumbing/mechanical codes are different than IRC. CA uses the Uniform plumbing and mechanical model codes. I have researched the IPC/IMC and I feel confident I could pass those certs, just have to buy the book. Same with any of the certs, for me it's just about having the right book, they're not cheap. Then after passing the test I own an expensive doorstop because we don't use that code...

It appears that there are some requirements from the State Fire Marshal to become a fire inspector. Interestingly there are no CA Building Official certs, they want the ICC 3-part certs. I find this interesting simply because the difference in codes, but as Mark K stated there aren't too many differences. Hope there no questions about AAV's ;)

The edit button sure would be nice... leave out an "are" or an "s" and it sounds like you speak caveman.

The CA plumbing/mechanical codes are different than IRC. CA uses the Uniform plumbing and mechanical model codes. I have researched the IPC/IMC and I feel confident I could pass those certs, just have to buy the book. Same with any of the certs, for me it's just about having the right book, they're not cheap. Then after passing the test I own an expensive doorstop because we don't use that code...

Befriend neighboring inspectors,,

They can be like this forum, a resource to bounce questions off of,,,,,

Plus borrow books from.

Also check amazon and a few other sites, sometimes you can find cheaper books there.

Seems like your city should have some of them.

I have reached out to other local inspectors/officials with little success. We are small and quite removed from the rest of CA. The inspectors I have communicated with seem very competitive, cold, and overall salty. It was great to go to the Calbo education week and meet some people from other jurisdictions. It seems like our area is about 10 years behind the rest of the state. Many of the local inspectors I hear about have an "I'm always right" kind of attitude and that the code is what they say it is rather than what some dusty book on a shelf has to say. Personally I find that offensive because the book's there for a reason, it's code, not opinion... Anyhow that is still good advice and I may try again to make some connections. It may just have been that I was the "new kid on the block" and maybe now they have heard that I'm okay.

While many building departments may want ICC certifications the laws cannot require ICC certifications since if they did so it would constitute an improper delegation of a governmental authority to a private entity.

Please provide reference to where you believe there is special requirement for fire inspector.

While many building departments may want ICC certifications the laws cannot require ICC certifications since if they did so it would constitute an improper delegation of a governmental authority to a private entity.

Please provide reference to where you believe there is special requirement for fire inspector.
www.csfa.net

"Certification from California State Fire Marshal in Fire Prevention 1A and 1B is required. Certification in Fire Prevention 1C and Fire Investigation 1A is desirable."

Certification from California State Fire Marshal in Fire Prevention 1A and 1B is required. Certification in Fire
Prevention 1C and Fire Investigation 1A is desirable.