• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stepped footings

Ed Spencer

I am not seeing anything in the ORSC regarding stepped footings. i seem to remember that in previous codes there were details relating to steps and reinforcing requirements. am i missing it? Cheers!

Depending on the severity of the steps you probably need to consult a structural engineer. If they are minor steps you may be able to get the reinforcing information you need from ACI.

IRC R403.1.5 requires the top of the footing to be level, and the bottom to be stepped if the bottom slope would exceed 10%. Steps are typically in 8" increments (the height of a course of block), and usually overlap twice the step height.

Here's a detail from the Journal of Light Construction:

Some jurisdictions have typical details:

It's best to get a structural engineer if you get into steep slopes.