• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Steps to the house. You make the call.

If it is under the straight IRC and not attached to the home, then not in the purview of the AHJ, unless something was modified by AHJ at adoption.

Though i would agree its not best practices or even useful, it is landscaping and thus i would make the note, but from where i sit it is outside your scope of control.

Probably going to need better treads, and should have used pressure treated lumber.

:)

@ ~ @ ~ @

IMO, ...for this project to actually be useful & durable
it needs compliant handrailing on both sides, ...doweled
in rebar at the top and to replace the "latching mechanism
[ of duct tape ] for a matching metal latch of some type.

@ ~ @ ~ @

Assuming it is in the purview of AHJ
  • Gates swinging over landing, lack of three foot landing
  • I assume those are 2x8 form boards (7.5 inches) so you have less than 30"
  • Still should have handrails

The gate swings in both directions. The gate opens to an alley. Where I have worked no permit or inspection/approval is required. Obviously the formwork is not ready for concrete.