• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Stop Lurking and Start Posting

tod13511

Hi. I’ve been lurking around this forum for a while, and picking up a lot of useful information. I’ve decided to stop lurking and start posting, so I’d better introduce myself.

I’ve been a plan reviewer in Arlington Virginia for the past 2 years. I started in private inspection in 1984 and worked for a specialty ground improvement contractor in ’85/’86. In '87 I began working in the Fairfax County Virginia building dept. as a geotechnical advisor to building inspectors. During RIFs in ‘90 my boss asked me if I knew anything about fire prevention. I said ‘no’. He said good, you’re going to the fire dept. There began a 23 year stint as a commercial building, sprinkler, fire alarm, etc. reviewer with experience from ’87 BOCA through ’12 IBC. I know a lot about building codes, but the two most important things I know are that I don’t know it all and I don’t always get it right.

My review experience is varied. Office bldgs (up to 20 stories), strip centers, malls, hospitals, theaters, churches, huge high schools, flex-tech, high hazard warehouses, secure federal facilities, podium and high rise residential. Lots of everything except industrial. Over the years, I moved back to the building dept. where I began giving code classes for the County’s code academy, VBCOA, Va DHCD, GSA, and NAIOP. I started attending code hearings a few years ago and even got a code change through for 2015 IBC. I retired from Fairfax in 2011.

Thanks for sponsoring this forum. it's a great place to exchange ideas, get problems solved, or get a new take on a problem you thought you had already solved.