• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Storage accessory vs incidental - Connecticut

Hyrax4978

CT still requires incidental storage rooms over 100 SF to be rated 1 hour or automatic fire extinguishing system.

If we are looking at a mixed use F2 and S2 building - non separated how does the incidental storage room requirement come into play.

the s2 use is 900 SF, so its over the 100 sf listed on the incidental use table. and its less than 10%. the F2 area is 9,100 SF. so does it need to be rated per the incidental use table. Or is it not rated because its a mixed use non separated. even if it was separated there is no required separation between F2 and S2.

I guess im trying to figure out whats the difference between storage room as listed on incidental table and a full S2 use.

Opinions greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Can you call it S1?....If so, I can't see anyone arguing about not rating a storage room.....Or will the storage room be used to store S2 stuff?

Existing building, new room I assume? Or new use?

i can't see any reason to call it S1, its metals, for a small aerospace company.
the S-2 is actually an existing building. they want to add on to it. its all separate from their business area so thats not a concern. the S-2 existing building will get an F-2 addition. i can separate them if need be, just don't want to include something i don't have to. I want to fully understand the concepts, but the more i read the incidental section and mixed use section, the less clear it becomes. the storage area is more than just a room at 900 sf. but i guess its hard to argue its not really a room even though its a larger one. the incidental use versus mixed use is not totally clear. I would argue that a larger S-2 space, up against an F-2 space would not need to be separated if the it was truly a mixed use non separated building. lets say if was 5,000 and 5,000 each. its not incidental any more and then would not be separated because its over 10% and a non separated building. So why the separation here in CT if its less than 10%.

If i look at 311.1.1 commentary storage areas larger than 100 sf shall be classified as group S and mixed occupies would apply. I think this would be clearer if CT did not keep the 100 SF 1 hour rated incidental requirement.
It appears to me that under 100 SF its accessory, if its over 100 SF is mixed use AND incidental.
Its the mixed use AND part i am trying to verify. is it AND, or is it OR.

It's OR......You do not have to separate a 101sqft storage room in a storage use......ASSUMING a really picky inspector might argue that it could be S1 in the room where the rest of the building is S2....Call it all S1 if feasible or reason with the BO or ask OSBI....

Mixed use non-sep as most buildings end up being and why ICC took that piece out...We amended it back in to make the fire guys happy which just confuses everyone....

Is this building sprinklered?
Because under the CT incidental use provisions a when there are no sprinklers a storage room over 100SF has to be 1 hour rated. When there are sprinklers a storage room over 100SF has to be of "construction capable of resisting the passage of smoke". Make sure all the walls a full height and any air transfer openings in those walls have smoke dampers and you are all set.

Is this building sprinklered?
Because under the CT incidental use provisions a when there are no sprinklers a storage room over 100SF has to be 1 hour rated. When there are sprinklers a storage room over 100SF has to be of "construction capable of resisting the passage of smoke". Make sure all the walls a full height and any air transfer openings in those walls have smoke dampers and you are all set.
Tim, Circling back around to this one. Where do you catch the "capable of resisting the passage of smoke" for the sprinklered storage rooms?

509.4.2 Protection. Where Table 509 permits an automatic
sprinkler system without a fire barrier, the incidental
uses shall be separated from the remainder of the
building by construction capable of resisting the passage
of smoke
. The walls shall extend from the top of the foundation
or floor assembly below to the underside of the
ceiling that is a component of a fire-resistance-rated floor
assembly or roof assembly above or to the underside of the
floor or roof sheathing, deck or slab above. Doors shall be
self- or automatic-closing upon detection of smoke in
accordance with Section 716.5.9.3. Doors shall not have
air transfer openings and shall not be undercut in excess of
the clearance permitted in accordance with NFPA 80.
Walls surrounding the incidental use shall not have air
transfer openings unless provided with smoke dampers in
accordance with Section 710.8.

Full service establishment...

Now how do we get more CT designers here...? Or maybe I need to start doing classes.....
what CT needs to do is make continuing code education mandatory for architecture and engineering licensure. CT made it mandatory for Interior Designers but left Architects and Engineers off because they mistakenly assumed that Architects and Engineers already know to code........ha ha ha ha ha

Thursday 11/11 I am looking at doing a Ch. 1 admin thing for our little group....But I may have to shift the date as it is veterans day....

CT does require hours now.​

Continuing Education for Occupational and Professional Licenses​

ARCHITECTS
1. Upon renewal of your license in 2022 (license period 8/1/2022 through 7/31/2023) you will be required to attest that you earned the minimum twelve (12) continuing education hours (C.E.H.s) to renew your license.

2. The C.E. requirements must be fulfilled in the calendar year prior to renewal, you have until December 31, 2021 to complete your first round of C.E.H.

3. C.E.H. must be certified by the American Institute of Architects, N.C.A.R.B., or the Connecticut Office of Data and Education Management.

CT does require hours now.​

Continuing Education for Occupational and Professional Licenses​

ARCHITECTS
1. Upon renewal of your license in 2022 (license period 8/1/2022 through 7/31/2023) you will be required to attest that you earned the minimum twelve (12) continuing education hours (C.E.H.s) to renew your license.

2. The C.E. requirements must be fulfilled in the calendar year prior to renewal, you have until December 31, 2021 to complete your first round of C.E.H.

3. C.E.H. must be certified by the American Institute of Architects, N.C.A.R.B., or the Connecticut Office of Data and Education Management.
I meant building code specific CEH's. About 4 or 5 years ago the state started requiring Interior Designers to get 4 hours of code specific CEH's each licenses cycle in addition to what ever general CEH requirements they have for Interior Designers.

I could be interested in attending. :)

I am trying to do a "Hartford Area" group open to inspectors and contractors and designers to help facilitate getting us all on the same page or at least have some discussions and make some progress...We've been meeting in Bloomfield on the second Thursday of the month at 5PM. Informal, pizza and beer kinda thing with some good conversation/ debate. As long as we can keep everyone civil it should remain productive. Getting around a dozen each time so far, but not really pushing it out there...

I am trying to do a "Hartford Area" group open to inspectors and contractors and designers to help facilitate getting us all on the same page or at least have some discussions and make some progress...We've been meeting in Bloomfield on the second Thursday of the month at 5PM. Informal, pizza and beer kinda thing with some good conversation/ debate. As long as we can keep everyone civil it should remain productive. Getting around a dozen each time so far, but not really pushing it out there...
I am game, will try and keep it in mind for next month!