• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Storage in an Egress Corridor

LGreene

In an effort to teach the readers of my website about using the codes and knowing where to find things, I posted some photos today which show stored goods in an egress corridor: http://idighardware.com/2016/11/ww-egress-route-or-storage-space/

If any of you want to share your expertise about this issue, feel free! Is it ever ok to store items in a corridor? Are a few boxes ok, or lots of boxes but only for a short time? Or are non-combustible items ok, but not combustible items?

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Lori

Reactions: JBI
Like you are alluding to, it really depends on the situation. If I walk into a business and feel they are threatening the life safety of their employees and clients, I ask to speak with the manager. Our fire code is very clear that combustibles cannot be stored in the means of egress (2.4.1.1.(2)). If the manager does not take immediate action, I contact the local fire department and report the fire hazard. They are usually more than happy to respond. What has happened for me in the past, is I explain to the battalion chief who I am and that there is a fire code violation and they will usually enforce the fire code. I had one responding department walk over to the pull station and activate it, sounding the fire alarm throughout the building when the manager wouldn't remove the combustibles immediately. Not a good situation to have all your customers walking out of your store halfway through their shopping.

In the mountains and no fire code!

no, you cannot block egress corridors with stored items. See this in restaurants and back of house in large hotels all the time.

Staff requires regular training to avoid this.

Even with fire codes "Oaklands" happen.

Warning to move it, probably gets bumped up on the rotation a bit for fire inspections.