• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Storage room door @ under the exterior stairway

Utakecare2019

code (CBC 1011.7.4) says "There shall not be enclosed usable space under exterior exit stairways unless the space is completely enclosed in 1-hour fire-resistance-rated construction..."
My question is the door to this storage room. If the door is on the exterior wall, does it require any rating?
Thanks
UTC

The door may be exempted if sufficient distance from other buildings, overhangs, and/or property lines exists. Walls and ceiling will still require separation.

1011.7.4 Enclosures under exterior stairways. There shall not be enclosed usable space under exterior exit stairways unless the space is completely enclosed in 1-hour fire-resistance-rated construction. The open space under exterior stairways shall not be used for any purpose.

Completely enclosed space would logically include a wall with a door.

There used to be a chart in the code that gave the rating for doors in the various types of rated walls. I don't have to deal with this often enough to be able to quote specifics.

I found it: 716.5
45 minutes looks like a good choice. My information might be misleading in that the chart deals with walls which this situation is sorta like that but not really.....if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
1011.7.4 Enclosures under exterior stairways. There shall not be enclosed usable space under exterior exit stairways unless the space is completely enclosed in 1-hour fire-resistance-rated construction. The open space under exterior stairways shall not be used for any purpose.

Completely enclosed space would logically include a wall with a door.

There used to be a chart in the code that gave the rating for doors in the various types of rated walls. I don't have to deal with this often enough to be able to quote specifics.

I found it: 716.5
45 minutes looks like a good choice. My information might be misleading in that the chart deals with walls which this situation is sorta like that but not really.....if you know what I mean.
ICE, would you agree or disagree that Sections 705.5 would provide justification to only protect from the inside? Per 1023.7, it is most likely that the exterior wall will not need to be rated for the interior exit stairway. Finally, I'd also suggest that depending on the maximum area of openings allowed by 705.8, the opening may not require protection.

705.5 Fire-resistance ratings
For other than Group A, E, H, I, L and R occupancies, high-rise buildings, and other applications listed in Section 1.11 regulated by the Office of the State Fire Marshal, exterior walls shall be fire-resistance rated in accordance with Tables 601 and 602 and this section. The required fire-resistance rating of exterior walls with a fire separation distance of greater than 10 feet (3048 mm) shall be rated for exposure to fire from the inside. The required fire-resistance rating of exterior walls with a fire separation distance of less than or equal to 10 feet (3048 mm) shall be rated for exposure to fire from both sides.For Group A, E, H, I, L and R occupancies, high-rise buildings, and other applications listed in Section 1.11 regulated by the Office of the State Fire Marshal, exterior walls shall be fire-resistance rated in accordance with Tables 601 and 602 and this section. The required fire-resistance rating of exterior walls shall be rated for exposure to fire from both sides.

1023.7 Interior exit stairway and ramp exterior walls
Exterior walls of the interior exit stairway or ramp shall comply with the requirements of Section 705 for exterior walls. Where nonrated walls or unprotected openings enclose the exterior of the stairway or ramps and the walls or openings are exposed by other parts of the building at an angle of less than 180 degrees (3.14 rad), the building exterior walls within 10 feet (3048 mm) horizontally of a nonrated wall or unprotected opening shall have a fire-resistance rating of not less than 1 hour. Openings within such exterior walls shall be protected by opening protectives having a fire protection rating of not less than 3/4 hour. This construction shall extend vertically from the ground to a point 10 feet (3048 mm) above the topmost landing of the stairway or ramp, or to the roof line, whichever is lower.

As I alluded to, this doesn’t fit in with the various codes for rated walls. I would not venture far beyond 1011.7.4 in an attempt to match construction of the enclosure with any code. 1-hour is all there is to go on. 716.5 seems to be a catch all table but even that may be a stretch.

Disclaimer:
I am just an inspector.

Last edited:
Is the door and/or the exterior stairs an accessible MOE? If the landing needs to be an exterior area of assisted rescue then all openings within 10' need to be rated....

1009.7.2 Separation. Exterior walls separating the exterior
area of assisted rescue from the interior of the building
shall have a minimum fire-resistance rating of 1 hour,
rated for exposure to fire from the inside. The fire-resistance-
rated exterior wall construction shall extend horizontally
10 feet (3048 mm) beyond the landing on either
side of the landing or equivalent fire-resistance-rated construction
is permitted to extend out perpendicular to the
exterior wall 4 feet (1220 mm) minimum on the side of the
landing. The fire-resistance-rated construction shall
extend vertically from the ground to a point 10 feet (3048
mm) above the floor level of the area for assisted rescue or
to the roof line, whichever is lower. Openings within such
fire-resistance-rated exterior walls shall be protected in
accordance with Section 716.

Agree with iCE

[A] 102.1 General. Where there is a conflict between a general
requirement and a specific requirement, the specific
requirement shall be applicable. Where, in any specific case,
different sections of this code specify different materials,
methods of construction or other requirements, the most
restrictive shall govern

Would you all agree that an exterior stairway used solely for access to and from a mechanical room still has to comply with 1011.7.4 Enclosures under exterior stairways?