• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Storage rooms opening into exit passageways

Sonadavinci

Has anyone been able to design storage rooms into an apartment building that are accessible to dwelling units from a central hallway on the same story as the units? It seems building circulation inevitably becomes exiting, which prohibits access to any unoccupied space other than service rooms. So in an apartment building without a basement, unless you put storage rooms within the units themselves, there's no way to get at them unless they are outside, -which would only work for a one-story building. I'm using 2015 NFPA and IBC for a 12-unit, 3 story, sprinklered (13R), with a single exit stair and exit.

I'm a new user, and tried to find a way to search for previously asked questions by subject, but didn't see one. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks for any input...

Has anyone been able to design storage rooms into an apartment building that are accessible to dwelling units from a central hallway on the same story as the units? It seems building circulation inevitably becomes exiting, which prohibits access to any unoccupied space other than service rooms. So in an apartment building without a basement, unless you put storage rooms within the units themselves, there's no way to get at them unless they are outside, -which would only work for a one-story building. I'm using 2015 NFPA and IBC for a 12-unit, 3 story, sprinklered (13R), with a single exit stair and exit.

I'm a new user, and tried to find a way to search for previously asked questions by subject, but didn't see one. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks for any input...
Sorry, just found the search feature.

Thank you. That's the conclusion I have come to after reading it over a few more times. The rated unit walls had me thinking that the corridors were something other than exit access.

Yep. That part is covered, no problem. Rated closers on doors, continuity details at wall/floors, etc.
I was thinking of the corridor the wrong way and have resolved the problem. Thanks.