• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Structural requirements for accessory buildings

Aerco

In a little defense of """" the government officials don't really know a darned thing about the requirements and you get ten different answers from ten different people. """""""

AHJ's are not supposed to design.

Yes they should be able to point you to the chapter or verse that applies.

Yes if you ask ten inspectors, you may get ten answers, but most will apply.

Anyway, don't give up on us government officials, we are only machines.

I have found that on an individual basis most people that work in government institutions can be perfectly reasonable on a personal level. But that doesn't help you very much if you keep running to roadblocks and nobody can tell you the way forward, because they are just a small cog in a big machine.

Aerco

Unless there is something different with the water in Nevada whether the walls are 8' or 10' does not determine whether you need a professional engineer. Not all building department employees are knowledgeable about engineering structures. This is why you hire an engineer, who in many cases is more knowledgeable that the building department staff.

I would expect the head of a county building department to be knowledgeable about these matters. He gave me this statement. It is not unreasonable to demand a certain level of competence of people in a position of authority.

I had a friend who had his workshop permit denied (in another part of the country) because the person in charge felt his walls "looked too tall". He pointed at the stack of calculations and asked if they had looked at them and was told they don't have any engineers in that department. This is the kind of thing I find so frustrating.

Paul Sweet

Sawhorse
I understand that Nevada has areas with shrink/swell soils that can tear up a foundation. Subsoil types affect lateral loads from earthquakes.

It's kind of like the difference between normal and acrobatic category in aircraft design.

Aerco

I understand that Nevada has areas with shrink/swell soils that can tear up a foundation. Subsoil types affect lateral loads from earthquakes.

It's kind of like the difference between normal and acrobatic category in aircraft design.
Understood. But I'm building right next to an existing house that's next to another house.. What are the chances that soil that has already been tested numerous times is going to be any different 50 ft away?

ADAguy

Sawhorse
Do you sell steel buildings or something? I jest, but why would I pay someone and let them make a profit out of me when I can do the work myself? I WANT to do the work myself. I just like to do things the hard way, I guess. I'd be paying someone about $10,000 more for a building that is no better than anything I can come up with just to save myself the hassle of dealing with an uncooperative bureaucracy. No. Not happening.
So, a DIYr' are you and damed the AHJ's. Is your property zoned Ag? that might be your out, Did you indicate your intended use?