• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Submitting Plans for a pavilion without architect seal

You are assuming the original drawings were done by a licensed person
I'm not assuming anything... It is the responsibility of the design professional to know the legalities of their own trade. If I can definitively demonstrate or have evidence that the laws of the state are not followed, it is encouraged by our State Licensing Board to submit documents to them for investigation. If laws are not followed, design professionals can and have had their licenses revoked.

When I spoke to the sub code official he told me that he did not find anything wrong (yet). He just stopped reviewing and said that I needed a seal before he could approve.

Nice looking structure. I agree, it will catch a lot of wind.

I see you posted that in Jan 2018 ... hope to break ground soon?

As soon as I get the approvals, I'm starting (the mason has been bugging me for 2 weeks). I'm just stuck now on getting the seal

Span is greater than span tables for simple framing, that is why engineering is required. That and it is open on all sides, exposing it to wind uplift.

Simple span calcs and uplift restraint into masonry are fairly simple.... not sure that I agree that engineering is required. Seems to be a cop-out.

Simple span calcs and uplift restraint into masonry are fairly simple.... not sure that I agree that engineering is required. Seems to be a cop-out.

Agreed....We approve things every day that do not fall nicely into the IRC....Say center bearing decks...A 300ft structure is almost exempt for permit here...

Agreed....We approve things every day that do not fall nicely into the IRC....Say center bearing decks...A 300ft structure is almost exempt for permit here...
I'm in the same boat. we check these types of structures for zoning compliance, not for code.

Changing it to a pergola might work. Talk with he code official and see what their thoughts are.

If it were mine to review, I'd just run the beam calculations and provide call out for the proper beam and beam connector (such as an ECCLQM - linked). Aside from that, it is typical joists (2-H2.5 uplift connectors per rafter).

How does it comply to the wall bracing sections of the IRC?
Does it explicitly, no.

But do you think that the 4-ft masonry peer at each end is less capable than OSB? And lateral forces primarily originate from wind pressures on walls, of which there are minimal.

Ok.. So can anyone give me an idea how I can get past this? Can I re-draw the plans as a homeowner and just remove the roof?
Not sure where you are in NJ, and not sure what your plans look like, but I have done many a carport and awning structure in NJ and what you posted a link to on the other forum looks more like a carport structure or awning structure.

Elite aluminum makes 48 x 180 foam core aluminum roof panels with finished gutter edges and with the right beams and the engineering information they supply this should be simple. https://elitealuminum.com/

Carolina carport also makes roofs like that also that assemble together and they come with engineering docs also.

With the company in PA being where you got your prints, None Sealed, if they didn't answer the phone, I would google the address and see if it is a commercial space or someone working out of their home. New Holland PA is only a few hours drive from most of central and northern NJ, just drop by Cabelas on the way so its not a total loss.

As to getting an engineer or architect to seal a set of drawings, architects are in business to draw things, not seal DIY drawings. I wouldn't do it either if I was able to.

As for an engineer, they seal other peoples drawings all the time. But off the shelf prints are a stickler for them also some times.

IF the design is good, most helpful engineers would seal a set of homeowner drawn sketches for between $500 & $750 dollars. But I have never seen them seal drawings from an online service or mail order.

I find it odd that the company did not offer for an additional cost providing the drawings with a NJ seal.