• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Sunrooms and Habitable Space

Lawrence

Per R301.2.1.1.1 there are 5 categories of sunrooms. I through III are defined as noninhabitable space, and are unconditioned. My understanding of R303.9 is that in order to be habitable, a space must at least be heated.

Habitable space is of course defined as 1) in a dwelling and 2) for living, sleeping, eating or cooking.

Sunroom categories IV and V seem confusing.

Category IV is thermally isolated, enclosed walls, conditioned, but is *noninhabitable*.

Category V is all of the above, open to main structure, and is *habitable*.

Let's say I enclose a porch, add a mini-split, put some nice wicker furniture in there, this apparently authoritative reference is showing this as a Category IV (page 12) https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DAS/O...s-to-the-2015-IRC_-2-Slide-Handouts.pdf?la=en

Is an enclosed porch "habitable"? Can I eat, or live out there? Or does being thermally isolated from the dwelling unit make it "nonhabitable" ?

[RB] HABITABLE SPACE. A space in a building for living,
sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms,
closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are
not considered habitable spaces.

Is an enclosed porch "habitable"? Can I eat, or live out there? Or does being thermally isolated from the dwelling unit make it "nonhabitable" ?

The determining factor is not whether the code would call it habitable .....You can eat or live just about anywhere. If you want a "take it to the bank" decision...follow the code as far as it will take you and you have a IV sunroom. You can eat, live or sleep there but habitation is not allowed.

Pay attention to EERO code.

Per R301.2.1.1.1 there are 5 categories of sunrooms. I through III are defined as noninhabitable space, and are unconditioned. My understanding of R303.9 is that in order to be habitable, a space must at least be heated.

Habitable space is of course defined as 1) in a dwelling and 2) for living, sleeping, eating or cooking.

Sunroom categories IV and V seem confusing.

Category IV is thermally isolated, enclosed walls, conditioned, but is *noninhabitable*.

Category V is all of the above, open to main structure, and is *habitable*.

Let's say I enclose a porch, add a mini-split, put some nice wicker furniture in there, this apparently authoritative reference is showing this as a Category IV (page 12) https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DAS/O...s-to-the-2015-IRC_-2-Slide-Handouts.pdf?la=en

In what way are you concerned about inhabitating it?