• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Supreme Court hears Dubuque solar power case

I'm not aware of your situation in Kansas, or the case in Iowa.

I do know that energy, including electricity, has been deregulated in Illinois resulting in a choice of suppliers.

There are two or three electricity suppliers we can choose from, but all distribution is billed through Commonwealth Edison (they own the poles, lines, etc.)

Many communities have negotiated rates for their residents, allowing a bulk purchase contract for the community.

Personally, I'm skeptical as to how the whole thing will shake out. Time will tell.

mj

So how does it work???

is it just solar cells on a roof???

"""Under the power purchase agreements there’s no need for Eagle Point Solar or the city of Dubuque to use the infrastructure or resources of the utility companies, Schuling said. It shouldn’t be the place of the Iowa Utilities Board to regulate the financing options customers use to install renewable energy systems on their own property, he said."""

Or are the solar cells tied into the power utlity lines????? and just selling to the power company??

I don't know anything about the case other than what's shared in the link. I was just curious to see if anyone had any thoughts or opinions on it, that's it. It's not an issue in Kansas to my knowledge; I've had the same electrical company for 15 plus years.

What's the difference? Solar only works with government subsidies, other utilities only work with government subsidies....Funny when people who manipulate the system get mad when someone else figures out how to do it themselves....