• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Suspended ceiling grid installs

SCBO1

Platinum Member
I some times see pop rivets installed in ceiling grid systems at the wall angle/cross-t or main-t connections and on other jobs nothing. Is there a code requirement and if there is where can I find it?

Re: Suspended ceiling installs

Are they being installed according to the mfg. installation instructions and the listing for the ceiling? Check the ES and the instructions (provided by the designer on-site!).

When I did ceiling grid and got the start of the grid square, I locked the grid in place with a pop rivet to keep it from moving, and I did the same for every other main at the wall while sighting down the mains for straightness. Worked for me...never did get the manuf. specs on the job...keeps the grid from moving so much...

The answer depends on your seismic design category. IBC 1613 references ASCE 7. In seismic design categories D, E, and F, Section 9.6.2.6.2.2 b of ASCE 7 requires the runners on two adjacent walls to be riveted to the wall angle. On the other two walls, the ends of the runners are required to be free to slide on the wall angle.

I don't see any similar requirement for lesser seismic design categories.

Re: Suspended ceiling grid installs

There is hardware available that holds the grid without the use of rivets.