• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Table R301.2(1)

Joe.B

Just out of curiosity, does you department have a completed (and current) copy of Table R301.2(1) handy? If so, how often do people ask for it? If not, when people ask questions about "climatic and geographic design criteria", where do you go to get that information?

Related, I got a call a couple days ago by someone asking if we require Ice Barrier Underlayment. Then today I got the same basic question in an email and they are asking for a copy of a completed table R301.2(1), which we don't have. Normally I would pass this off to our Building Official, oh but wait, we don't have one of those either!

Anybody want to move to Northern Cali to be our Building Official?

I seriously wish we could edit our posts for the occasional grammatical error.

*does your department...

Anybody want to move to Northern Cali to be our Building Official?
No

Joe, We fill it out each time we adopt a new code, they threw some more required information at us in the 2018 code.

I field at least 20-25 calls a year from, roofing companies, insurance companies and homeowners asking if IWS is required? It has been such a hassle I decided to go with the flow and be more consistent with the surrounding jurisdictions and require it when we adopted the 2018.

No termites in Big Sky country... interesting

No

Joe, We fill it out each time we adopt a new code, they threw some more required information at us in the 2018 code.

I field at least 20-25 calls a year from, roofing companies, insurance companies and homeowners asking if IWS is required? It has been such a hassle I decided to go with the flow and be more consistent with the surrounding jurisdictions and require it when we adopted the 2018.

No termites in Big Sky country... interesting
Yeah, it's a longshot. Hopefully somebody will, or I'll end up having to do it...

Cold ground = no termites? That's convenient!

So basically I make a copy of that table and fill in the blanks. Should be easy enough I guess... I went back to some older code books looking to see if any of the previous staff had done so and I found that in the 2010 code someone filled out a few boxes, looks a lot simpler back then. Thanks for the help everybody!

& ~ &

Joe.B,

As I understand the information listed in Table R301.2(1),
...someone in your jurisdiction should gather the data
that is applicable to Arcata [ < - - if this is your jurisdiction ],
...enter it in to the Table, and it should be formally &
legally adopted in to your jurisdiction by the city council
members........It is a "required" legal adoption process.

To be able to edit your postings \ upload photos, etc. on
this Forum, you would need to become a "paid contributor";
also known as a Sawhorse.........Send "jar456" a Private
Message as to "Where to send your payment to".

As far as someone interested in becoming your Building

Official, has the position been advertised ?

& ~ &

Yes I understand the forum rules and I understand why, it is what it is. If it really bothered me I'd stop coming here. Yet here I am! I did a pretty decent job completing the table, as far as legally adopting it I'll let the next BO handle that ;)

This is where I went for the decision about termites.

HUD HOC Reference Guide

Pest Control Tip Zones

Chapter 1
Appraisal & Property Requirements
Page 1-23a

Areas in the Denver HOC jurisdiction which are currently determined to require termite inspections or treatments are as follows:​
  • Arkansas

• Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Louisiana
  • Missouri
  • Nebraska
  • New Mexico
  • Oklahoma
  • Texas (all jurisdictions)
  • Utah
  • Wyoming in the following areas- Basin, Byron, Casper, Cody, Cowley, Douglas, Evansville, Glenrock, Greybull, Lovell. Lusk, Meeteetse, Mills, Powell, Rawlins, Riverton, Shoshoni, Thermopolis, Torrington(2), and Worland.

The following states have no termite inspection requirements:
  • Colorado
  • Minnesota
  • Montana
  • North Dakota Wisconsin

For additional information, please contact the FHA Resources Center.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Content Archived: November 2, 2012
spacer.gif

We just made (which means i was tasked by the BO) a 1 page sheet with all the applicable codes and the climate zone and load requirements and is posted on the website. If they want more granular they will call or email.