• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Test Your Electrical Skills w/ On Demand Water Heater

jar546

Forum Coordinator
RESIDENTIAL
Here is a typical installation for an on-demand water heater installation. In addition to the photo below with the information, I am including a PDF if any of you want to give it to your electrical guys to take a look and try it out.

The question is:

Is this proposed installation code compliant? If yes, say so, if no, say why not.

*This is not a trick. All info you need is right here so no need to wonder or ask about things that are not included in this educational pictorial. Look at it for what it is, not what you think. This is Residential.

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 19.23.32.png

Attachments

• OnDemandEWH.pdf
    55 KB · Views: 3
Well Jeff there are a few electrical inspectors here. More than you might suspect. Not many have the depth of knowledge that you possess. I must say, you really do have a handle on the electrical code.

I have noticed that you tend to be .....how can I say this without offending you ... strident. Or kind of an asshole. Not huge or anything but enough that some people aren't going to weigh in on these scenario threads. Count me in on that.

Well Jeff there are a few electrical inspectors here. More than you might suspect. Not many have the depth of knowledge that you possess. I must say, you really do have a handle on the electrical code.

I have noticed that you tend to be .....how can I say this without offending you ... strident. Or kind of an asshole. Not huge or anything but enough that some people aren't going to weigh in on these scenario threads. Count me in on that.

I see what you mean. I am trying to build up the electrical section here to help catapult this forum forward to more than building and accessibility. This, or so I thought, was something that was easy and fun at the same time. This is what we would see on plan review or inspection on a daily basis. I was assuming that we would get some activity here but I was wrong. It is much easier to post photos of violations and say what they are but it is more fun to talk about permit fees apparently.

Asshole it is. I'm a marked man now.

I said kind of an asshole.... not a full on branding. The way it works for me is that if I’m going to come away from an interaction feeling dumb I will avoid that interaction in the future. I don’t believe that you cause that on purpose but you know too much and can be impatient if not intolerant of those that don’t. And that’s only occasionally.

So I have an answer for your test above ....think feeder and conduit folks. I will wait for others to step up..

By the way, there’s nothing typical about this scenario....I for one have never encountered such a setup.