• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

The problem with code development???

cda

Sawhorse 123
“”””Groupthink leads to bad decisions because it encourages members of the group to ignore possible problems with the group’s decisions and discount the opinions of outsiders. When members of the group are too comfortable with each other, similar in background, or become insulated from outside influences and information, groupthink can be a big problem. It influences decisions most when there are no clear rules for decision making.””

“”””Groupthink leads to bad decisions because it encourages members of the group to ignore possible problems with the group’s decisions and discount the opinions of outsiders. When members of the group are too comfortable with each other, similar in background, or become insulated from outside influences and information, groupthink can be a big problem. It influences decisions most when there are no clear rules for decision making.””
If you think the code writing process is in a bubble you are mistaken
Anyone can submit a code modification. They are all reviewed.
After the ICC or IAPMO committee hearings and approvals, it gets reviewed by many states and more modifications are made before adoption in the state. (that's why we have so many State codes). Then there is local adoptions and modifications. At each review and adoption, modifications are made.
You cannot say it is a small group of engineers or inspectors making all the codes. That is just Wrong.

Ron Geren, an active member on this forum, has a paper on some of this
http://www.specsandcodes.com/articl...o. 5 - How Can you Change a Building Code.pdf

Before I retire I will submit

Trying to decide between

Definition of

Main Door

Main Exit

Main Exterior Exit

Or

Not allowed the words such as Emergency, Fire, Emergency Only, or similar to be part of an Exit sign or attached to or near an exit door.

Before I retire I will submit
Trying to decide between
Definition of
Main Door
Main Exit
Main Exterior Exit
Or
Not allowed the words such as Emergency, Fire, Emergency Only, or similar to be part of an Exit sign or attached to or near an exit door.

Best of luck

Ok will give it a shot

I don’t write code.

Mine is simple do it or Hammarabbi style

For IBC, two yeas from now. Don't bitch about until you get involved and try to do something about it. I sit on a national Committee. I am active in the Colorado Chapter code development Committee. (which there are 45 members representing over the span of the PCH's) I attend the Public Comment hearings, (where I am at right now), and I vote on cdpAccess to finish it out. Unless you participate in the process, don't piss and moan about the results.............. nuff said

For IBC, two yeas from now. Don't bitch about until you get involved and try to do something about it. I sit on a national Committee. I am active in the Colorado Chapter code development Committee. (which there are 45 members representing over the span of the PCH's) I attend the Public Comment hearings, (where I am at right now), and I vote on cdpAccess to finish it out. Unless you participate in the process, don't piss and moan about the results.............. nuff said
Same as those who complain about who gets elected, but can't be bothered to vote.

When I became an inspector the building code required glazing within five feet of a pool deck to be safety glazing. That's not a complicated concept. There was no definition of a pool deck. I figured that the deck starts at the pool and ends where it stops. Sometimes it was a 3' ribbon and sometimes it went all the way to the house. The five foot zone added complexity to the simple concept. I wrote the correction, and apparently only I wrote the correction. All of the sudden pool contractors were forced to replace windows. An uproar ensued. I received a letter from the BO that the code will change at the next cycle to state five feet from the water's edge.I was ordered to cease writing the correction.....the code language did change.

I tell you this so that you will understand that corrections can make things happen. I spent time working with the standard making panel for UL2703 as the result of corrections I wrote. Changes were made because of corrections. Yes committees are out there if you have the time but that's a slow way to go. I prefer immediate action.

So CDA, if you have a problem with signage.....write a correction.....and stand back. You are the best arbiter of code decisions.....you are the witness to how it performs.....I would ask you first.....not hand it to you and expect silent results.

Last edited:
When I became an inspector the building code required glazing within five feet of a pool deck to be safety glazing. That's not a complicated concept. There was no definition of a pool deck. I figured that the deck starts at the pool and ends where it stops. Sometimes it was a 3' ribbon and sometimes it went all the way to the house. The five foot zone added complexity to the simple concept. I wrote the correction, and apparently only I wrote the correction. All of the sudden pool contractors were forced to replace windows. An uproar ensued. I received a letter from the BO that the code will change at the next cycle to state five feet from the water's edge.I was ordered to cease writing the correction.....the code language did change.

I tell you this so that you will understand that corrections can make things happen. I spent time working with the standard making panel for UL2703 as the result of corrections I wrote. Changes were made because of corrections. Yes committees are out there if you have the time but that's a slow way to go. I prefer immediate action.

So CDA, if you have a problem with signage.....write a correction.....and stand back. You are the best arbiter of code decisions.....you are the witness to how it performs.....I would ask you first.....not hand it to you and expect silent results.

The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly. - Abraham Lincoln

When will proposals for the next code cycle be accepted

In the Fall of 2020, folks can begin working in cdpACESS to generate I-Code proposals. The deadline to be completed with proposals is the first week of January 2021. These proposals will develop the 2024 I-Codes.

In the Fall of 2020, folks can begin working in cdpACESS to generate I-Code proposals. The deadline to be completed with proposals is the first week of January 2021. These proposals will develop the 2024 I-Codes.

Thanks

Might as well try one