• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

There were several of these within the foundation

jar546

Forum Coordinator
IMAG0312.jpg

Jar

They could be chairs for steel placement, hopefully there not wood. The radius on the bends are questionable. I assume this is a wall.

David

I assume you're talking about the vertical steel with zero clearance to the form and not the wall ties. Have them re-tie it so it conforms. don't have my code book handy but I think it's either 3/4 or 1 1/2 inch clearance depending whether it's the inside or outside face of the wall.

Tell the contractor that why the form ties have grooves on them so the steel can seat and not burn the wall. Almost looks tllike they tied the steel BEFORE either side of of forms were set.

Often times the concrete people pull the rebar into place. It seems to work on slabs. No reason for it to not work in walls.

High Desert said:
I assume you're talking about the vertical steel with zero clearance to the form and not the wall ties. Have them re-tie it so it conforms. don't have my code book handy but I think it's either 3/4 or 1 1/2 inch clearance depending whether it's the inside or outside face of the wall.
BINGO, sorry if this was not clear. This is the inside of the forms pre-pour inspection. Exterior foundation wall

How come all the sudden I can't see your pics jar? The ramp pic and this one........wierd.

Don;'t know. They are photobucket links that are activated to show on this site so you dn't have to click on them. Is photobucket locked out at your work?

The form ties are not be a problem. No comment on whether they are enough.

There is a problem with the bars not being in correct position. Rebar in contact with the form is not acceptable. There needs to be sufficient cover. Pulling the rebar into place is NOT acceptable. It doesn’t work in slabs. In slabs you end up with the rebar in the earth.

The rebar needs to be held firmly in position so that it will not displace during construction.

As mentioned the radius on the bar bend is too large.

fatboy said:
How come all the sudden I can't see your pics jar? The ramp pic and this one........wierd.
Pics? What Pics? All I can see is the Avatar.

Seriously, now. look at the horizontal steel off to the right. That's where the problem comes from, the steel in the adjoining wall is so poorly bent it's holding the steel in this wall against the form. Notice the tie wire actually touching the form.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently found out photobucket was blocked for access, but didn't realize it blocked incoming also, this sucks.

this is exactly the reason why i changed the foundation wall inspection proccess when i started in this jurisdiction.

rolled up on first inspection and only one side of forms was in place.

told the contractor to tie and support the steel per code, set both sides of the form, and maintain clearances

then recall inspection. was told the other inspector wanted the side of the form off so he could inspect the rebar

without climbing, told him i'd rather climb the ladder and make sure steel was secured in place as required.

jar546 said:
Don;'t know. They are photobucket links that are activated to show on this site so you dn't have to click on them. Is photobucket locked out at your work?
Just so you know you can upload to your album here at this site. So it is hosted here and no access problems like that. Goto your profile and there is an "album" link on the left. Not sure about storage so it may be limited.

They obviously dont have a rebar bender on the site. Probably bending the stuff on a pick up tailgate or something. Bends are WAY fat, not enough clearance. How about lap splices, I don't have my code book right here, but a few of them might be lacking. Yes, everything should (shall) be held in place prior to placing concrete, maintain adequate clearances. Lets not forget the CEE!

Quick rule of thumb for laps in smaller rebar is 48 bar diameters. Not exact but close enough for under #8's. Get the book to see the exact lap required.

Rebar to forms is 2 inch clear. and the corner bars ;) :D

Buelligan said:
Just so you know you can upload to your album here at this site. So it is hosted here and no access problems like that. Goto your profile and there is an "album" link on the left. Not sure about storage so it may be limited.
Jar? Did you get that?

Kinda assume you'd already know.

If it's a 10" wall it may not even need rebar. Rebar requirements depend on soil classification, height of the wall and height of unbalanced fill. If rebar is installed, proper edge clearances required.

pyrguy said:
Quick rule of thumb for laps in smaller rebar is 48 bar diameters. Not exact but close enough for under #8's. Get the book to see the exact lap required.Rebar to forms is 2 inch clear. and the corner bars ;) :D
Hi Pyrguy,

Because this is formed concrete that's to be in contact with soil and those are more than likely #4's the cover would be 1 1/2". Per ACI318-08 page 91

Years ago I was taught that the correct lap was 30 diameters for concrete and 42 diameters for grouted masonry.

So here I go off looking for a table, no such luck.

Still I'm thinking 48 diameters? Really?

Finally I found 12.2.3 of ACI 318-08 that addresses the issue and found 47 bar diameters. More your number than mine. I kept reading and finally found in the commentary on page 205 which describes simpler steel with coverings of 2 bar diameters and spacings of 4 bar diameters. This is more like the pictures in the first post. Can you say residential concrete? Now the formulas yield 28 diameters. So it turns out that my old "saw" of 30 diameters lap wasn't so far off after all.

Your 48 diameters is correct as well but applies to much more complex reinforcement than what Jar saw in that wall.

Bill

2009 IRC

TABLE R611.5.4(1)

LAP SPLICE AND TENSION DEVELOPMENT LENGTHS

2006 IRC

Horizontal reinforcement shall be continuous around building corners using corner bars or by bending the bars. In either case, the minimum lap splice shall be 24 inches (610 mm)

R611.7.1.4 Lap splices.

Where lap splicing of vertical or horizontal reinforcing steel is necessary, the lap splice shall be in accordance with Figure R611.7.1.4 and a minimum of 40 db, where db is the diameter of the smaller bar. The maximum distance between noncontact parallel bars at a lap splice shall not exceed 8 db.

Hi MLC,

Your 2009 reference covers it. Thank You.

Section 2006 R611 specifically addresses ICF walls it's more akin to my old "saw" of 42 diameters in grouted masonry.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator: