• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Tiny ramp trouble?

PaulR

I'm working on a parking deck project and due to a precast mishap the door to the stairwell/elevator lobby sits in a concrete wall opening that is 1 inch higher than the landing surface. My thought was to use one of those aluminum threshold-style ramps at the base of the door to allow a smooth transition down to the landing. Only problem is the code would require a level landing at the top and bottom of the ramp for maneuvering/etc. I really want the ramp to just go right to the base of the door similar to any other threshold arrangement. This ramp is all of twelve inches long, do I really need a top landing?

Before you suggest grinding down the concrete, we've already done that. Originally the difference in elevation was 2 inches. We got it down to 1 inch and we can't grind much further.
R1F.gif

No matter what, that will be a trip hazard for eternity. Just last weekend, I was at a club that had a couple outdoor transitions similar to this, maybe an inch, even painted, I stumbled the first time. No....... not alcohol related.

Anyway, you need to talk with the AHJ/Inspector that will be signing off on it. He might not require the landing,I don't know if that would make it better, or worse. Just a bad situation.

Good luck.

I would suggest floating the floor to 1:20 its only 8 more inches and then it is not considered a ramp but just a walkway with no top and bottom landing being required.

my 2 cents

A picky inspector would not allow you to "slope" the landing...

1008.1.5 Floor elevation. There shall be a floor or landing on
each side of a door. Such floor or landing shall be at the same
elevation on each side of the door. Landings shall be level
except for exterior landings, which are permitted to have a
slope not to exceed 0.25 unit vertical in 12 units horizontal
(2-percent slope).

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-18_14-50-57.png
    upload_2016-11-18_14-50-57.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 4