• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Toilet Gurgles When Flushed

jar546

Forum Coordinator
The toilet on the third floor of my townhouse gurgles when I flush it but appears to flush normal. The sink next to it drains normal and has a P-trap, however, on occasion I smell sewer gas when I stand in front of the sink. Please explain. Where are my plumbing experts?
It is the top floor and when I run the water into the sink, the sewer gas odor goes away.

# ~ #

Rembo sir, ...IMO, it sounds like there is a malfunctioning vent
somewhere that is associated with your toilet, or possibly your
toilet has a leak \ crack in it.........Also IMO, it sounds like a
P-Trap may be going dry, either through a siphoning effect
or other.

If there are some good plumbers in your area, ...who are good
at using a camera, and that you actually trust, you may want
to have them insert a camera in to the vent system to perform
some diagnostics.........They should go thru systematically and
check a variety of plumbing components, and provide you with
a detailed & written report with clear pictures.

Also FWIW, ...around here using a camera to perform the
diagnostics typically doesn't cost that much.

# ~ #

There are a few jokes here.

Anyway, my non plumber knowledge,,

Maybe do not use the sink for a few days

Pull the trap apart to see if there is water in it

Does this sink get used on a daily basis?

Have vents cleaned???

Not sure how old the toilet, is, but seems like some work fine, and others well, have to meet water usage and other factors, do not seem to work as well,,

Have you tried adjusting the water level to the highest and see what happens.

Last edited:
Did they use an air-admittance valve?
Problems can arise where air admittance valves are fitted to vent pipes which are not separately vented and which include water traps - this can lead to back pressure in the pipework when an appliance is discharged which will effect the appliance discharge - this will be especially noticeable when a toilet is flushed.

Advice line, go ahead caller:
The toilet on the third floor of my townhouse gurgles when I flush it but appears to flush normal. The sink next to it drains normal and has a P-trap, however, on occasion I smell sewer gas when I stand in front of the sink

I'd try to just hold it until you get to work!

cda was right, there are a few jokes here.