• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Toilet too close to tub

Re: Toilet too close to tub

Jeff - Not sure what the problem is... That is almost exactly the way the bathrooms in my modular are set up. (Besides, the toilet doubles as an ashtray when I am soaking in the tub! LOL)

Jeff-

I have to agree with JD. I,m in New Jersey and this is a very common bath layout.

Just came out of my own bath, 18 " to tub and not a problem.

I think it is questionable if the 15" even applies.

5. The centerline of water closets or bidets shall be not less

than 15 inches (381 mm) from adjacent walls or partitions

or not less than 15 inches (381 mm)from the centerline

of a bidet to the outermost rim of an adjacent water

closet. There shall be at least 21 inches (533 mm) clearance

in front of the water closet, bidet or lavatory to any

wall, fixture or door.

NJ is under 06 NSPC which also does not address this, But does allow 12" from toilet to end of tub.

It does not say it can't be there but the figures don't show that setup so I am questioning it. They will make the 15" requirement but I still don't think it is a good setup. Nonetheless, it is apparently code compliant.

And I never liked a 30" drop-off without a guard!

NYS used to allow 18" with no guard, now it's 30"...

But you go ahead and feel uncomfortable with the proximity of a toilet to a tub, Jeff. (We still love ya! ;) )

Seriously though, they can't show every possible configuration of fixtures.

`

Jeff,

The plan layout is code compliant! It meets the minimum

separation distances.

Besides, you can slide right off of the Throne and into the

tub, ...talk about convenience! :lol:

`

Really common layout... including in both of my bathrooms that have tubs..

I've designed a few that way.

I've reviewed a few that way.

In fact, my second bath in my home is this way.

Not the greatest bathroom in the world but probably the most built as it takes up the least amount of space.

Layout looks like a normal low square footage home that's been allowed by code for years. Not much room for a bidet! "Texas boot cleaner".

jeff,

if you have ever had the flu and had stuff coming out of you in several locations at the same time, you would think this design is brilliant :mrgreen: and code compliant too.

I think this it the new "green" bathroom layout. Almost the smallest square footage allowed and the smallest cubic footage to heat and cool.

Have to agree with everyone that is the most common layout you will see starter homes and middle class homes. I have two that looks that way, one in a modular in Colorado and one in my condo in Washington. :p

A few yrs back my wife and two little ones took an Amtrak sleeper to DC. The bath there was so tiny you could not sit on the john w/o your nose scraping the wall in front.

A friend's split level near Atlanta had the washer/dryer shoehorned into a bathroom such that when they bought a new clothes washer they had to remove the toilet to get the washer out and the new one in.