• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Too bad, So sad

steveray said:
But they all come in their own raceway?....300.3?
I think this panel is surface mounted.. probably over an existing recessed panel which is probably some violation (looks like a chase nipple there at the bottom). It looks like the GEC's come up the outside of the building and enter the bottom of the panel.

Might there also be a bonding issue if the panel is over 250v? The locknut for the chase nipple is on the outside of the enclosure.

Tim

Reactions: ICE
TimNY said:
I think this panel is surface mounted.. probably over an existing recessed panel which is probably some violation (looks like a chase nipple there at the bottom). It looks like the GEC's come up the outside of the building and enter the bottom of the panel.Might there also be a bonding issue if the panel is over 250v? The locknut for the chase nipple is on the outside of the enclosure.

Tim
I would agree that it appears to be a panel over a panel.

Here is another view.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97859466@N05/11657059036/[/URL]

Thanks for finding the bus bar Chris.

This is a service upgrade. It is surface mounted over a hole in the wall. The hole is where the original flush enclosure was located. I encounter this method on a regular basis.

They always claim that there are no splices in the wall cavity. This guy cut holes in a bedroom wall to prove it.

11657700096_ec021c5798_c.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97859466@N05/11657700096/

Many times there are no splices and they have to change it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
jwelectric said:
does anyone else have a problem with the 3R enclosure having fittings higher than the bus bars? I see two in the lower left side of this enclosure
That is the first thing I saw however that is an easy fix with sealing locknuts

Dennis said:
That is the first thing I saw however that is an easy fix with sealing locknuts
What code section applies to that?

Thanks Dennis, you answered my question at Mike Holt's forum.

312.2 Damp and Wet Locations. In damp or wetlocations, surface-type enclosures within the scope of this

article shall be placed or equipped so as to prevent moisture

or water from entering and accumulating within the cabinet

or cutout box, and shall be mounted so there is at least 6-

mm (¼-in.) airspace between the enclosure and the wall or

other supporting surface. Enclosures installed in wet

locations shall be weatherproof. For enclosures in wet

locations, raceways or cables entering above the level of

uninsulated live parts shall use fittings listed for wet

locations.

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE said:
The first one of the week and it's only Monday.
Well I had just one this week....and they fixed it.

Of course there are a few new violations but all in all the kid is not to bad with tools.

A couple more inspections should do the trick. They also learned plenty about wall furnaces.

Last edited:
You should really love the "workmanship" here.

What behind the Murray panel is the remains of a Zinsco/Sylvania semi-flush panel. BTW it passed "inspection" for whatever that is worth. :( Just for the record, I did not do it, could not sleep at night if I did.

Your being kind. Probably would have better off getting a aftermarket replacement Zinsco bus kit, replacing the bad breaker(s) & calling it a day, but that still won't fix the # 2 parallel aluminum that was run without any conduit & that I would bet was left & spliced behind the new panel, somewhere there is a photo of it as it was.

Wonder if the utility company set the meter, or they moved it and utility company was not involved

That seal that Pacific Graft & Extortion "PG&E" uses is not that hard to remove & replace but it was done by the PoCo not boot leg.

I assume thats a main panel and not a sub panel since the grounds and neutrals are on the same bars . It looks like a bonding jumper is needed between the two ground bars . The bar on the right is depending on the bar mounting screws for a ground connection .

Also it looks like some one just put a grounding bar on top of the factory flat bar on the left and just popped a screw in it .I would think it would require a better connection than that .