• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Too close to the PL

ICE

Oh Well
Staff member
And you advertise the fact.

DSCN9343_zps736494e0.jpg

DSCN9342_zps86228d25.jpg

ICE, I don't see why you can't park your codes car in that spot! It's not to close to the property line, that's city R-O-W!

Remember you can't look for code violations if you have to climb a ladder to look over that fence! :) >

pc1

There are many illegal structures built up to and over property lines. They aren't addressed until there is a complaint. Well that's not entirely true as I will go after dangerous ones when I find them but that's rare.

So anyway, somebody complained about this.

This poor guy is out of luck.

First the planning dept will charge him near $1000 to tell him that he must remove however much that is in the five foot side yard setback. There might be a rear yard setback violation and lot coverage could be an issue. Gotta make sure that he gets his thousand dollars worth of planning review.

Then the building dept will tell him to hire an engineer to design the structure.

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE,

Some zoning will allow a structure up to the property line like a "P" zone. The developer has to give up something in return like green space for a park to get the density or concession for zero lot lines.

We had a development that wanted high back curds and two-2ft wide driveway strips for the cars to give the subdivision a 1920's look.

Weird!

pc1

This time it is a "storage shed".

I mentioned that with the windows it looks like it is more than a storage shed. "I can't have windows in a storage shed?"

Well maybe it's the refrigerator that I see through the window that makes me think this is more than just a storage shed. "I can't store a refrigerator in my storage shed."

Perhaps the outlet box leads me to believe that this is more than a storage shed. "So I can't store ice-cream, in my refrigerator in my storage shed?"