• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Top or bottom fed?

ICE

Oh Well
The panel label states that the enclosure can be either top or bottom fed. It goes on to state that if the enclosure is top fed, the lugs from the bottom shall be relocated to the top. My question is this. If the enclosure is top fed are the service entrance conductors required to land at the top location that is provided for a top fed panel? Is bringing the conductors through the enclosure to the bottom a listing violation? The picture at the bottom is not all that unusual and that violation would not happen with a top fed panel.

Image_1 2020-12-04_09-00-09.jpeg

IMG_0068.jpeg

IMG_4426.jpeg

The only thing I could think of there would be the "waterproofing" and level of energized parts, but that doesn't seem like an issue from the pics, but I have never been an electrician, I just fail their work daily...

The first picture is how we typically see it the bottom picture I think the radius of the wire is to small
The first picture is typical for me too with the exception that the neutral must be landed at the top becaudse it didn't show up at the bottom.

I have never been thrilled with the conductors passing through the meter section. If not done carefully the wire is against metal that should be avoided. But I have seen it like that for so many years that I just accepted the practice. Then I had this job where the neutral is nowhere to be found and I got to wondering. Well I wrote a correction to terminate the SEC at the top with the neutral and provide pictures. I'm dealing with a homeowner and his friend doing the work.

The second picture is about as bad as it gets for radius of bends.....and it's aluminum wire to boot.

Would you cite failure to follow manufacturers instructions as being part of the listing/labeling?

Would you cite failure to follow manufacturers instructions as being part of the listing/labeling?
I love that section of the NEC - it’s almost like the “neat and workmanlike” clause, but a little more polished...

Possibly...When I see the wire bent like it is in the bottom picture I am pretty sure a top fed connection is a better way to go. Especially if the exposed wire at the weather-head is going to end up really short because they will not pull new wire to correct the violation I wrote.

The thing is, I am not sure if passing through the meter section is a violation. I inspect one to four service panel upgrades every day. About half of them were done by a no-nothing solar company. I can guarantee that I would generate a shlt storm if I started writing the correction as a general rule.

DSCN3392.jpeg

DSCN0516.jpeg

IMG_7532.jpeg

Speaking of solar contractors, here's one now.

DSCN8837.jpeg

Last edited:
Those bends are a worthy item to cite, (300.34) as is the cut insulation, the damaged coating on THHN-THWN looks horrible & I cringe when I see it, not sure it is a big problem other then pride of the work, or in the lack of pride in the work they do as shown in the above photos.