• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Truncated Domes at Door Landing

mychaelp

Can someone point me to the section that states the truncated domes cannot be placed within the door landing clear space? I think it's obvious, and also the plan checker isn't allowing it for me, but my client wants it specifically spelled out. I feel "clear space" means nothing there, not even the domes.
Thanks!

That's a new one, haven't heard of that one. Is this a high rise type building with an entrance to a city sidewalk?

That's a new one, haven't heard of that one. Is this a high rise type building with an entrance to a city sidewalk?
I wish I could figure out how to add a photo here. It's a little auto lube bldg and we are adding to the site, so now this old lube bldg needs a ADA route to the trash enclousre. Just outside the door is a 5' sidewalk with a curb/cut ramp to the drive. So we need the truncated domes, but there is so little room. IN the past the plan checkers would not allow any domes in the clear floor space for doors so we placed them outside of those area, but in this case there isn't room. So I began wondering if there is another interpretation somewhere someone else may have used to get around it, especially for existing buildings. thanks for the help

Clear width is also in section 1009.32 Stairway width, so is the reviewer stating no attachments to steps like runners are allowed? Aggregated nose strips allowed?

Only required at bottom of curb ramp slope at a hazardous way or head of access aisle at a "0" curb condition adjacent to a POT

Do the auto lube business usually have domed floor type to prevent slipping, I can't see where this would be an issue, I'm missing something hear, I think.

Do the auto lube business usually have domed floor type to prevent slipping.
I don’t think of the truncated domes as being slip resistant, and actually since they are hard and smooth I would think they would be more slippery than a concrete walk.

Where is the project located? More specifically, what is the applicable code for your project?

For example, if located in California, we have an additional requirement that exceeds ADA Standards:

11B-247.1.2.5
If a walk crosses or adjoins a vehicular way, and the walking surfaces are not separated by curbs, railings or other elements between the pedestrian areas and vehicular areas.the boundary between the areas shall be defined by a continuous detectable warning complying with section 11B-705.1.1 and 11B-705.1.2.5.

Last edited:
I don’t think of the truncated domes as being slip resistant, and actually since they are hard and smooth I would think they would be more slippery than a concrete walk.

I can "true" this, especially in leather shoes or the rain.

Can someone point me to the section that states the truncated domes cannot be placed within the door landing clear space? I think it's obvious, and also the plan checker isn't allowing it for me, but my client wants it specifically spelled out. I feel "clear space" means nothing there, not even the domes.
Thanks!
is this residential or commercial?
Why are they there?
who requested them?

Getting back to the topic...since the ADA Standards and ANSI A117.1-2009 do not require detectable warnings for your situation, what is?

Is there a local requirement; did they adopt the older ADAAG as a local or state accessibility code and haven't revised it; or have they adopted an older edition of the IBC that references ANSI A117.1-2003?

code that your under, a site plan or a photograph is needed of this path, it does not seem like it leads to a condition that we can imagine would need detectable warnings, but we do not understand the specific condition.

The OP asks for code sections not allowing the domes. I don't know of any specifically not allowing them. Code can't cover everything. If they are not slip resistant then that would be a direction, but if that is the case, is the inclusion of them at a train platform such a good idea? Are they considered an obstruction by the AHJ? IMHO I think they are useful in limited situations to communicate a hazard, but in other cases they can become a hazard.

Thanks!
"clear" means free of obstructions, "clear" means 2% cross slope max ea/wy, clear means surface texture may not vary by more than 1/4" TD's don't. Rubber inset walk mats could be used if he is concerned about slipping.

859563003870.jpg

Do the auto lube business usually have domed floor type to prevent slipping, I can't see where this would be an issue, I'm missing something hear, I think.

This is what I envisioned for the lube business